Run Time Error 13: Type Mismatch (only 4 lines of code to look at)

Chris Macro

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I am getting this error on the 3rd line of my code (MyVariable = Join.....). Any ideas on what could be causing this?

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Macro1()<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Lastrow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> MasterEmailList <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>, MyVariable <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Combine Mill Email Groups into One Large String</SPAN><br>        Lastrow = sheet4.Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row<br>        <br>        MasterEmailList = sheet4.Range("J1:J" & Lastrow)<br>        MyVariable = Join(Application.Transpose(MasterEmailList), "; ")<br>        sheet4.Cells(Lastrow + 1, "J") = MyVariable<br>        <br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
Is there anything in column J on the worksheet with codename Sheet4?

Upvote 0
Also, any error values like #N/A within column J will cause the type mismatch.

Upvote 0
Nope, all there is in Column J is data inside the range of J1:J7. The Line that is running the error is when I am trying to Join the range into a one line string.

Upvote 0
Ok, so when I modify the code to look like this (below), then it works.....but I need it to be pulling from sheet4.

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Macro1()<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Lastrow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> MasterEmailList <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>, MyVariable <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Combine Mill Email Groups into One Large String</SPAN><br>        Lastrow = Sheet5.Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row<br>        <br>        MasterEmailList = Sheet5.Range("J1:J" & Lastrow)<br>        MyVariable = Join(Application.Transpose(MasterEmailList), "; ")<br>        sheet4.Cells(Lastrow + 1, "J") = MyVariable<br>        <br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Are you sure the CodeName of the sheet is Sheet4?
This is not necessarily the same as the Name as you see it on the Sheet's Tab.

Try
Sheets("Sheet4") Instead.

also, just for troubleshooting, hard code the range without the lastrow variable

MasterEmailList = sheet4.Range("J1:J7")

Upvote 0
My sheet name is actually called "Email List". So using "sheet4" should not be the issue. I hard coded the range and it still gave me the same error. I think the problem is the line stating "MasterEmailList = sheet4.Range("J1:J" & Lastrow)". When I change the sheet name to 5, it capitalizes the "s" and makes it say "Sheet5". Is there a reason why it automatically makes sheet4 lowercase?

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Macro1()<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Lastrow <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> MasterEmailList <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Variant</SPAN>, MyVariable <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br><br><br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'Combine Mill Email Groups into One Large String</SPAN><br>        Lastrow = sheet4.Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row<br>        <br>        MasterEmailList = Sheet5.Range("J1:J" & Lastrow)<br>        MyVariable = Join(Application.Transpose(MasterEmailList), "; ")<br>        sheet4.Cells(Lastrow + 1, "J") = MyVariable<br>        <br><br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My sheet name is actually called "Email List".

Does this work then..

Rich (BB code):
Sub Macro1()
Dim Lastrow As Long
Dim MasterEmailList As Variant, MyVariable As String
Dim ws As Worksheet

Set ws = Sheets("Email List")

'Combine Mill Email Groups into One Large String
        Lastrow = ws.Cells(Rows.Count, "J").End(xlUp).Row

MasterEmailList = ws.Range("J1:J" & Lastrow)
        MyVariable = Join(Application.Transpose(MasterEmailList), "; ")
        ws.Cells(Lastrow + 1, "J") = MyVariable

End Sub

Upvote 0
That didn't work either. But I think I might know why I am getting the error. Right now inside the range, the cells have a really long string. I think when I am trying to join the strings, the size might be too big??? when I just put 1,2,3,4, etc... inside the range the code worked. Is there a way to fix this???

Upvote 0
there is a limit to the length of a string...
I'm not sure off hand what it is, but I'm sure it's quite large probably at least 32k

How long are the strings you're joining?
Or more precisely, what would the lenght of the resulting string?
Do an =LEN(J1) on each of the 7 cells, and Sum them * 2
*2 for the ; delimiter

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
audette89

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back