Run Time Error 13 when updating Data Source for OLEDB connection

ajoh2

I wanted an easy way for a user to change the file path for an excel report that gets run every day. The workbook I'm building is bringing the data from that separate report into a worksheet via an OLEDB connected Table. To do so, I recorded a macro to change the location. Then I modified the code to change the Data Source section into a variable which the user would select. The works fine, until the file selected has a path + filename which is longer than 141 characters. For some reason it then sends a Run Time error '13' Type Mismatch. I've searched all over, and I cannot for the life of me find a solution. I've worked in a check for this case into the code to work around it, but I'd much rather find a solution so this isn't an issue any more.

Can someone help me modify the code so the Data Source section can be updated to whatever the variable is from the users file selection without being limited to the 141 characters?

Much appreciated.

My code is below and at **I've added the condition to check for which is causing the error:

Sub A_Change_Query_File()
current_location = Application.ActiveWorkbook.Path
ChDir (current_location)

Choose_file:
getfilePath = Application.GetOpenFilename(Title:="Select a File to Import")
FileType = ".xlsx"

If getfilePath = False Then
Exit Sub 'Prompt was Cancelled so exiting

Else
FileName = Dir(getfilePath)
filePath = Replace(getfilePath, "\" & FileName, "")
path_name = filePath & "\" & FileName

'**Have to check to length of the chosen file. If it's greater than 141 code won't run and I get Run Time error 13 Type Mismatch**
If Len(path_name) > 141 Then
If MsgBox("The path is too deep. The file is located too far down within nested folders." & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & _
"File Location:" & vbNewLine & path_name & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "Please move the report to a folder higher up and Retry." _
, vbRetryCancel) = vbCancel Then
Exit Sub
Else
GoTo Choose_file: 'File is nested into too many folders. I don't know why this matters, but for now it's a bug that I'm coding around
End If
Else

Debug.Print path_name, Len(path_name)

With ActiveWorkbook.Connections("Maximo_Update").OLEDBConnection
.BackgroundQuery = False
.CommandText = Array("Report$")
.CommandType = xlCmdTable
.Connection = Array( _
"OLEDB;Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Password="""";User ID=Admin;Data Source=" & path_name & ";Mode=Share Deny Write;Extended Prop" _
, _
"erties=""HDR=YES;"";Jet OLEDB:System database="""";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="""";Jet OLEDB:Database Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=3" _
, _
"7;Jet OLEDB:Database Locking Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Datab" _
, _
"ase Password="""";Jet OLEDB:Create System Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Don't Copy Locale on Compact=F" _
, _
"alse;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet OLEDB:SFP=False;Jet OLEDB:Support Complex Data=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass Us" _
, _
"erInfo Validation=False;Jet OLEDB:Limited DB Caching=False;Jet OLEDB:Bypass ChoiceField Validation=False" _
)
.RefreshOnFileOpen = False
.SavePassword = False
.SourceConnectionFile = ""
.SourceDataFile = path_name
.ServerCredentialsMethod = xlCredentialsMethodIntegrated
.AlwaysUseConnectionFile = False
End With
With ActiveWorkbook.Connections("Maximo_Update")
.name = "Maximo_Update"
.Description = ""
End With
ActiveWorkbook.Connections("Maximo_Update").Refresh
Calculate
End If
End If
End Sub

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
Please write declarations.

like this.
Option Explicit
Sub A_Change_Query_File()
Dim current_location As String, getfilePath As String, FileType As String, Filename As String, filePath As String, path_name As String

And try it again.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that doesn't do anything for me. Still getting the same error if the path is greater than 141 characters.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back