2. 2010
Platform
  1. Windows
VBA Code:
Private Sub UserForm_Initialize()

For Each ctrl In Me.Controls
    If TypeName(ctrl) = "ComboBox" Then
        With ctrl
           .List = Sheets("Employees").Range("A2:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row).Value
        End With
    End If
Next

End Sub

VBA Code:
Private Sub ComboBox1_Change()

Dim cmbBxType As Object

For i = 1 To Me.ComboBox1.ListCount
    For Each ctrl In Me.Controls
        If TypeName(ctrl) = "ComboBox" Then
            With Me.ActiveControl.ActiveControl.Text
               Set cmbBxType = Me.ActiveControl.ActiveControl.Name
                If Me.ActiveControl.ActiveControl.Text <> Me.ActiveControl.ActiveControl.List(i - 1) Then .AddItem cmbBxType.List(i - 1)
            End With
        End If
    Next
Next

End Sub

Inside my form, I have a frame. Inside the frame there are two textboxes and 20 comboboxes. What I was trying to do was make the code under combobox1_Change dynamic. That way I wouldn't have reference each combobox by name. If this worked, I would of made into a Sub routine, so all I would have to do was call that subroutine for each combobox under its change event. However I get the error stated in the title when I
VBA Code:
When I remove the word "Set" and "Dim cmbBxType As Object" from the code above, I get another error, "Compile error: Variable not defined" with the word "cmbBxType" highlighted. I hope what I am trying to say makes sense. Thank you.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
I see a couple of problems here. First I don't understand what you want your code to do, so it's hard to provide a correction.

You have For Each ctrl but you never use ctrl except to check its type. Perhaps you intend to use ctrl instead of ActiveControl.

VBA Code:
.Name is the name of a control, which is a String. cmbBxType is an object. You cannot set an Object equal to a String, it has to be another Object. What are you trying to do in this line of code?

Also, you use ActiveControl.ActiveControl several times. I am pretty sure that ActiveControl does not have a property that is also called ActiveControl. What your intent in that reference?

Upvote 0
As @6StringJazzer already stated, it's hard to understand what you're after.

so all I would have to do was call that subroutine for each combobox under its change event.
If you're after code reuse in order to handle similar control events with just one VBA procedure, then the use of a class module is the most obvious.
You might be interested in this thread. Although its topic concerns text boxes, this approach is also applicable to combo boxes.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiz11713

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back