Snake Eyes

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Greetings all.
I get the is error when I run the following macro in Excel 2010. I have tried a reboot and I have 5.2 GB of free Ram. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get past this error.

Code:
Sub Reset_Hyperlinks()'
' Reset_Hyperlinks Macro
'
    Dim hl As Hyperlink
    For Each hl In ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks
        hl.Address = Replace(hl.Address, "C:\Users\mayala\Application Data\Microsoft\", "G:\Data Files\VMS\")
    Next
'
End Sub

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
Hi Snake Eyes,

For what it's worth, I don't see any reason that code should cause a memory error by itself. It worked fine for me in a quick test.

As a next step, you might try adding a Debug.Print statement then step through the code executing one line at time using the F8 Key.

Code:
Sub Reset_Hyperlinks()'
' Reset_Hyperlinks Macro
'
    Dim hl As Hyperlink
    For Each hl In ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks
        [COLOR="#0000CD"][B]Debug.Print hl.Address[/B][/COLOR]
        hl.Address = Replace(hl.Address, "C:\Users\mayala\Application Data\Microsoft\", "G:\Data Files\VMS\")
    Next
'
End Sub

This may quickly isolate the problem if....

1. The code execution jumps to Event Code that is being triggered.

2. The For Each loop repeats continuously (more times than the number of hyperlinks you think you have).

3. The code performs okay until it hits one specific hyperlink that is causing the problem (eg special characters, or unexpected properties)

Reactions: shg
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip Jerry. I run your suggested script and nothing different happens. What output should I be expecting?

Upvote 0
Here's a better explanation of what I suggested:

Open the VBE Editor then check to see if the Immediate Window pane is visible. If it isn't, then key Ctrl-G to have it displayed.

Then click your cursor in the modified Reset_Hyperlinks macro code shown in post #2. Then begin hitting the F8 key repeatedly and you'll be able to follow the execution of your code one line at a time.

The code should loop around the For Each...Next block. Each time a Debug.Print is executed, the current value of hl.Address should be written to the Immediate Window like...
C:\Users\mayala\Application Data\Microsoft\MyPDF1.pdf
C:\Users\mayala\Application Data\Microsoft\MyWordDoc.docx

If your code performed without error, the execution would eventually reach the End Sub statement. If there are 10 hyperlinks in the ActiveSheet, then the Immediate Window should list all 10 addresses before they were potentially changed. (note if you hit F8 again after End Sub is executed it will restart the macro, so stop keying F8 after End Sub).

What you are hoping will happen, is that while following the execution of the code, the "Out of Memory" error occurs. Seeing exactly what statement (possibly which hl.address) is being executed when that error occurs will provide a big clue as the reason for the error.

Upvote 0
Thank You again Jerry, That did the trick. I found one out of several dozen hyperlinks that caused the error. I have since changed it so that it is no longer a problem. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the process.

Upvote 0
Good job, Jerry!

Thanks shg :)

Thank You again Jerry, That did the trick. I found one out of several dozen hyperlinks that caused the error. I have since changed it so that it is no longer a problem. I appreciate you taking the time to explain the process.

Snake Eyes, Could you share with us what was unusual about the one hyperlink that caused the error?

Upvote 0
Not too sure what the problem was Jerry. Below are two Links to my companies Sharepoint site. The first link is the problem link. The second is the solution. The main difference is that the problem link is filtered to display results for my name only.

http://internal.varian.com/os/css/SWInstall/Lists/T-Box_Checklist/Default.aspx?View={8698BFBD-19F0-4F55-9DA5-EFDA4A7F2FFD}&FilterField1=T_x002d_Box_x0020_Assigned_x0020&FilterValue1=Martin%20Ayala&InitialTabId=Ribbon%2EListItem&VisibilityContext=WSSTabPersistence

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is the second Link that does not throw the error...
Code:
[URL="http://internal.varian.com/os/css/SWInstall/Lists/T-Box_Checklist/Default.aspx?View=%7b8698BFBD-19F0-4F55-9DA5-EFDA4A7F2FFD%7d&InitialTabId=Ribbon%2EListItem&VisibilityContext=WSSTabPersistence&FilterClear=1"]
http://internal.varian.com/os/css/SWInstall/Lists/T-Box_Checklist/Default.aspx?View=%7b8698BFBD-19F0-4F55-9DA5-EFDA4A7F2FFD%7d&InitialTabId=Ribbon%2EListItem&VisibilityContext=WSSTabPersistence&FilterClear=1[/URL]

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back