Running Code on sharepoint

Bagsy

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have some excel workbooks with VBA to amongst other things run code “onopen event” to open a workbook with a database I use for data validation. I have been asked to upload these to sharepoint but how do I get the code to open the documents in excel rather than a web page, and how do I find the filepath to the actual excel document, rather than a path to a web page, so I can modify the filepath I set up to try it out.

Change this, which is the filepath I used to set it all up
VBA Code:
       Set WB = Workbooks.Open("C:\Users\Gary Baker\Documents\Lion Engineering\W4G\W4G\Operational Data\_Databases\Customer List.xlsx", True, True)
To (this is just an example)
Code:
       Set WB = Workbooks.Open("Sharepoint:\Documents \Operational Data\_Databases\Customer List.xlsx", True, True)
I can manually open each file in the app on sharepoint and my data validation will work.

Can anybody please tell me if this is actually achievable

Many thanks

Gary

Excel Facts

Why does 9 mean SUM in SUBTOTAL?
It is because Sum is the 9th alphabetically in Average, Count, CountA, Max, Min, Product, StDev.S, StDev.P, Sum, VAR.S, VAR.P.
The general approach I have taken is to grab the username from excel and append that to the SharePoint path.
VBA Code:
    Dim user As String
    user = Replace$(Application.UserName, " ", ".")
    openPath = "C:\Users\" & user & "\SharePointFolderStructure\Filename.xlsx"

With the caveats that a) everyone must have synced the SharePoint site at the same location (which they probably should have done anyways), and b) everyone's Office username must be in the same format "Firstname Lastname", which is easily changeable via File -> Options -> General. There's other ways you can get around point b (using Environ("username") ... see this post for the difference), but i've found the former to be cleaner for me, especially as where I'm at people's windows usernames are set up slightly differently depending on IT policy at the time period they were hired in.

Upvote 0
Solution
The general approach I have taken is to grab the username from excel and append that to the SharePoint path.
VBA Code:
    Dim user As String
    user = Replace$(Application.UserName, " ", ".")
    openPath = "C:\Users\" & user & "\SharePointFolderStructure\Filename.xlsx"

With the caveats that a) everyone must have synced the SharePoint site at the same location (which they probably should have done anyways), and b) everyone's Office username must be in the same format "Firstname Lastname", which is easily changeable via File -> Options -> General. There's other ways you can get around point b (using Environ("username") ... see this post for the difference), but i've found the former to be cleaner for me, especially as where I'm at people's windows usernames are set up slightly differently depending on IT policy at the time period they were hired in.
Thanks for that very helpful

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AirOliver

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back