Running count in one cell

Snarg

Hello,

Allow me to apologize in advance for what may seem to some to be a rather ridiculous question. I have tried searching Google and this forum with no luck. One drawback to the Internet is that sometimes there is TO MUCH information :) I have found many subjects that have the same topic title as me, but they do not describe or do what I am looking for. Allow me to explain:

I have one sheet in my workbook. In it I am using two columns. Column A is 'Name'. Column B is 'Number'. I have frozen the top row. In cell 1A I have put 'Total ='. In cell 1B I would like to have a running total taken from values entered into Column B.

Example (I don't know why there is a HUGE amount of space after this line. Sorry about that):
<table>
<tbody>
<tr height="20">
<td height="20" style="height:20px;width:156px;">
Total =</td>
<td style="width:64px;">
 </td>
</tr>
<tr height="20">
<td height="20" style="height:20px;">
Red</td>
<td align="right">
16</td>
</tr>
<tr height="20">
Blue</td>
<td align="right">
15</td>
</tr>
<tr height="20">
Orange</td>
<td align="right">
9</td>
</tr>
<tr height="20">
Pink</td>
<td align="right">
31</td>
</tr>
<tr height="20">
Yellow</td>
<td align="right">
16</td>
</tr>
</tbody>
</table>

'Total =' should be updated as I enter a value.

I hope that I have been able to explain what I am looking for as best as possible. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Thank you for any responses.

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I have one sheet in my workbook. In it I am using two columns. Column A is 'Name'. Column B is 'Number'. I have frozen the top row. In cell 1A I have put 'Total ='. In cell 1B I would like to have a running total taken from values entered into Column B.

Total =
Red16
Blue15
Orange9
Pink31
Yellow16
<colgroup><col width="68" style="width: 51pt;" span="2"> <tbody> </tbody>

'Total =' should be updated as I enter a value.
Assuming your numbers start in cell B2, put this formula in B1...

=SUM(B2:B5)

where the 5 in B5 should be the row number of the last cell with (or that you ever expect to) have a value in.

Upvote 0
Thank you Rick and bbott for your replies.

I know of the 'SUM' function, and I know how to get it to create a total after all of the values have been input. But, what I would like to have happen is to have cell B1 display the total as I enter the values into Column B. If this is at all possible please, let me know.

Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0
Thank you Rick and bbott for your replies.

I know of the 'SUM' function, and I know how to get it to create a total after all of the values have been input. But, what I would like to have happen is to have cell B1 display the total as I enter the values into Column B. If this is at all possible please, let me know.
That is what will happen UNLESS you have automatic calculations turned off for some reason. Check the setting for it in Excel Options/Formulas/Calculation options.

Upvote 0
That is what will happen UNLESS you have automatic calculations turned off for some reason. Check the setting for it in Excel Options/Formulas/Calculation options.

It's always something simple, isn't it?

Thanks Rick and bbott. I made the mistake of assuming I knew more than you did and did not bother to try the formulas. It have put it as so: =SUM(B2:B1000)

Seems to work a treat. Thank you for your time.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmmotairi

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back