Running Excel 2010 Using External Program

johnmbryant

I use a DOS-like programming language to analyze *.csv files. The command to open a file using Excel is:
Run("excel.exe","filename.csv") or
Run("excel.exe","filename.xls") or
Run("excel.exe","filename.xlsx") (2007 only)
All commands have worked fine using Excel 2000 through Excel 2007. Now, my program cannot find "excel.exe". As a matter of fact, neither can I.

Using the above syntax, is there something that should be used in place of "excel.exe" to open my file with Excel 2010?

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hello and welcome to The Board.
It is there - I can find it in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office 2010\Office14 but note that I have three versions of Office installed and I custom-installed Office 2010 into folder "Microsoft Office 2010". It is still called EXCEL.EXE
Perhaps you need to "Cd" to the relevant folder?

Upvote 0
Derek, I certainly do appreciate your prompt reply and I think you have solved my problem though I am a little nervous about remedying the problem.

My version of 2010 was installed on a new laptop at the factory. Properties of xls, xlsx, and csv files are labeled "Microsoft Application Virtualization DDE Launcher" not Excel.exe. When I queried "Help" on Excel, it described my installation as "click-to-run"

The help file says, "If you are dissatisfied with Microsoft Office Click-to-Run editions of Microsoft Office Home and Student or Microsoft Office Home and Business or if your problem is one of the known issues for Office Click-to-Run, it might be better for you to use the full retail edition of Microsoft Office."

It appears that the trial version is no longer the full version as it was with Office 2007.

Here is my new question. I need Office 2007. I need to learn Office 2010 so I can assist my student with either version. I have a full working version of Office 2007 on my computer. Are there any issues with installing Office 2010? Should I perform a custom install and select a directory separate from my Office 2007 directory? This will probably be done automatically if they can live together. Which will be the default if I, say, open an Excel file on the Internet?

Excel 2007 resides in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 12\

Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0
I have not come across the 'click to run' that you mentioned but perhaps some who has may see this post and offer some advice.
The following link gives advice about installing multiple versions - this is the method that I use:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928091/
The important thing is to select the Custom install and make sure that you then click the tab that allows you to select the location for the install - no need to precreate the folder as that would be done for you.
After installing 2010 I found that for a while double-clicking a file shortcut would start 2007, but after a while it seemed to know what I wanted and now starts 2010. The start menu has links to all versions.
You can only have one version of Outlook.

Upvote 0
Click2Run is not a trial version. It is a full fledged Office suite, just that it is a "virtualized" solution. I was impressed with the *potential* when I tested the C2R beta but I thought Microsoft did not leverage it fully. And, I haven't used it since.

You will probably see a Q drive, which is where the virtualized apps reside -- at least that was the case during the beta.

I don't know if those apps can be programmatically accessed. If in the 'dos like language' you use it is possible to specify the full path to the application, you might try that.

If you choose to install the retail version of 2010 such that it coexists with 2007, you will have to install the 32 bit version.

It coexists just fine with 2007. And, with 2003 for that matter. I always install Office editions in sequence starting with the oldest and working my way to the latest.

During the install process specify the option that says 'retain all previous versions of Office." The one exception is Outlook. Only one version of Outlook can be installed on a computer. So, if you want to stay with O2007 you must explicitly choose to *not* install O2010. [For various reasons, I was extremely unhappy with Outlook 2010 and went back to Outlook 2007.]

By default, opening an Excel file will cause the last installed version of the program to be used.

Derek, I certainly do appreciate your prompt reply and I think you have solved my problem though I am a little nervous about remedying the problem.

My version of 2010 was installed on a new laptop at the factory. Properties of xls, xlsx, and csv files are labeled "Microsoft Application Virtualization DDE Launcher" not Excel.exe. When I queried "Help" on Excel, it described my installation as "click-to-run"

The help file says, "If you are dissatisfied with Microsoft Office Click-to-Run editions of Microsoft Office Home and Student or Microsoft Office Home and Business or if your problem is one of the known issues for Office Click-to-Run, it might be better for you to use the full retail edition of Microsoft Office."

It appears that the trial version is no longer the full version as it was with Office 2007.

Here is my new question. I need Office 2007. I need to learn Office 2010 so I can assist my student with either version. I have a full working version of Office 2007 on my computer. Are there any issues with installing Office 2010? Should I perform a custom install and select a directory separate from my Office 2007 directory? This will probably be done automatically if they can live together. Which will be the default if I, say, open an Excel file on the Internet?

Excel 2007 resides in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office 12\

Thanks again for the help.

Upvote 0
Thank you Tusharm -- You are exactly right. There is a q:\ drive. I must have a full version of click2run.

It looks as if I can keep the virtual version and use my remaining update key to activate Office 2007. I don't really have a need for Office 2010 but I want to familiarize myself with it.

You both have been very helpful. I am not going to try to make my DOS-Like Software work with Office 2010 virtual version. It will work with 2010 full version of Excel and that's all I want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back