Running sub to reformat data onto sheet 2 really slow of get "Excel is not responding"

Rolnam

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello!
Glad to have found this site. Once upon a time I was a programmer, but really didn't so anything with VBA in excel.
Unfortunately, I believe I am using an overly large hammer to address my challenge with minimal efficiencies.

I ran the code below on the first 1,000 rows in sheet(1) and it ran in around 3 minutes. Output was 1,311 rows in sheet(2). This is really slow.
I need to run this for 60,000 rows - it shouldn't take hours should it?

I am confident there is a more elegant solution.
NOTES:
1. the starting data is a list of time punches; 1 row per person with all their punches for the day. (in, breaks, meals, out)
2. I need the data to be in sheet 2 as one line per set of in /out punches. For most they are part time and just have in and out.
3. since the punch pairs are all left to right (pairs and then blanks) I can check for the blank field to know how many pairs I will be writing to sheet(2).

Attachments

• VBA code - works but slow.png
    VBA code - works but slow.png
    190.5 KB · Views: 9
I shall experiment - thanks.
Victory! I didn't do the resize. and I had to prep columns D and E for the date format I needed in sheet(2), but it ran the whole thing in like 15 - 20 seconds.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
The full edit, untested. I've tried to keep it as simple as possible so that you can hopefully follow it a bit easier.
VBA Code:
Sub ConvertPunchRow()
    Application.ScreenUpdating = False
    Dim NewRow As Long, i As Long
    Dim ws1 As Worksheet, ws2 As Worksheet
    Set ws1 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(1)
    Set ws2 = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(2)
    NewRow = 1

For i = 2 To 1000
        If ws1.Cells(i, 5).Value = vbNullString Then
        ' Emp shift info
            ws2.Cells(NewRow, 1).Resize(, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 4).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 1

' = = = 1 Break  = = =
        ElseIf ws1.Cells(i, 7).Value = vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow, 1).Resize(, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 5).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 6).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 2

' = = = 2 Breaks  = = =

ElseIf ws1.Cells(i, 9).Value = vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 1, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 6).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 8).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 3

' = = = 3 Breaks  = = =

ElseIf ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value = vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 8).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 4).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 10).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 5).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 13).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 4

' = = = 4 Breaks  = = =
        ElseIf ThisWorkbook.Sheets(1).Cells(i, 11).Value <> vbNullString Then
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 2, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 8).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 3, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 10).Resize(, 2).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 4, 1).Resize(, 3).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 1).Resize(, 3).Value
            ws2.Cells(NewRow + 4, 4).Resize(, 2).Value = ws1.Cells(i, 12).Resize(, 2).Value
            NewRow = NewRow + 5
        End If
    Next i
Application.ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub
I will experiment with this after my deadline passes. thanks again.
I am guessing there is just so much overhead with using functions like Copy and "Destination" (Paste) and the behind the scenes code they use. Value = Value is much more straight forward.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back