Running Totals in Pivot Table

jplumhoff

Can I only have one ROW value when using the Running Totals In Function? or is there a way to have multiple Row Values and still have running totals?

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Jerry Sullivan

MrExcel MVP
Hi and Welcome to MrExcel,

You can use the Show Value as option: "Running Totals In" for PivotTables with more than one field in the Rows area, but those values tend to only be useful for the field you designate as your Base Field.

For example, if your Base Field is at the 3rd level of the Row Labels hierarchy, then the running total is just relative to each PivotItem at the 2nd level of the Row Labels hierarchy.

If your Base Field is at the Top level of the Row Labels hierarchy, then the running total will be useful for the SubTotals of that Top Field, but the values associated with lower levels will have ordinary totals, not running totals.

jplumhoff

Thank you for your reply and your help
but
I have tried the first or Top field in the hierarchy as well as every other row label in trying to understand the running totals. The only way I have been able to make the running total work is to have only one row label in the pivot table so I guess I am still not understanding how the hierarchy works to enable running totals, but I do appreciate your help.

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dwg

This Week's Hot Topics