Running Totals in Pivot Table

jplumhoff

Can I only have one ROW value when using the Running Totals In Function? or is there a way to have multiple Row Values and still have running totals?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi and Welcome to MrExcel,

You can use the Show Value as option: "Running Totals In" for PivotTables with more than one field in the Rows area, but those values tend to only be useful for the field you designate as your Base Field.

For example, if your Base Field is at the 3rd level of the Row Labels hierarchy, then the running total is just relative to each PivotItem at the 2nd level of the Row Labels hierarchy.

If your Base Field is at the Top level of the Row Labels hierarchy, then the running total will be useful for the SubTotals of that Top Field, but the values associated with lower levels will have ordinary totals, not running totals.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply and your help
but
I have tried the first or Top field in the hierarchy as well as every other row label in trying to understand the running totals. The only way I have been able to make the running total work is to have only one row label in the pivot table so I guess I am still not understanding how the hierarchy works to enable running totals, but I do appreciate your help.

Upvote 0
Hello, I didn't see a resolution to the question from 'jplumhoff'. I am having the same issue. I need Running Totals by date but it does not seem to work once I have multiple labels. I attached some snips. I am trying to do the Running Totals for Posting Date. But it stopped working once I added more Row labels after Posting Date.

Thank you!

Attachments

• Excel 01.JPG
    Excel 01.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 5
  • Excel 02.JPG
    Excel 02.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 4
  • Excel 03.JPG
    Excel 03.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back