Running VBA code in a protected worksheet

wdgor

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have VBA code that produces the output below. When a user left mouse double clicks on a row in column A the code creates a copy of the line, changes the number to X+.1 and changes the color of the line. It also changes the Task Number to concatenate the Issue number with the Client. This all works perfectly until I try to protect the columns in yellow. When I use the Me.Protect code (see below), I get an error on the Target.Offset line. I am not a VBA expert and don't know how to correct the code to allow the code to run in a protected worksheet without getting an error (see below - Run-time error '1004' - Insert method of Range class failed). I don't understand why the code works perfectly in an unprotected sheet but fails with protection. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1654106718465.png

1654107747855.png

1654108068407.png

I am confused about the issue. If you copy the code I updated for you above, and double-click on cells A7 or A9, I do not get any errors.
So I am having a hard time seeing what the issue is.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
I copied your code to another clean version of the same worksheet and I get the same error.

Upvote 0
I am unable to recreate the issue you are having.
If you can make a new workbook that has this issue, can you upload it to a file sharing site for us to see and test to see what is going on?

Upvote 0
I don't have a file sharing site. I don't know if you would allow it but I can email you a copy.

Upvote 0
I don't have a file sharing site. I don't know if you would allow it but I can email you a copy.
There are plenty of free ones out there, like DropBox.com.

Upvote 0
OK. I will download it in a little while and take a look at it when I am at my home computer (I cannot do it from my work computer - security policy).

Upvote 0
OK, I see what is happening now. In the middle of your "BeforeDoubleClick" code, it is calling your "Worksheet_Change" code (since you are updating the value of a cell), and that is re-protecting the sheet before all the changes in your "BeforeDoubleClick" code is complete. So we need to add in another line to unprotect your sheet again, i.e.
VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)

Dim rngcurrent As Range

If Target.Column <> 1 Then
    Cancel = False
    Exit Sub

End If

If Target.Cells = "" Then
    Cancel = False
    Exit Sub
End If

Worksheets("Master Worksheet").Unprotect
    Cancel = True
    Target.Offset(1).EntireRow.Insert
    Target.EntireRow.Copy Target.Offset(1).EntireRow
    ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Select
    ActiveCell.Value = Target.Value + 0.1
    Set rngcurrent = ActiveCell
    Worksheets("Master Worksheet").Unprotect
    Range("A" & rngcurrent.Row & ":F" & rngcurrent.Row).Interior.ColorIndex = 37
    Cancel = False
    Worksheets("Master Worksheet").Protect

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sweeberry

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back