runs fine one line at a time, but produces errors when run as a whole?

jbaich

Board Regular
Hi all, Sorry this seems long, but I've learned it's best to provide as much info as possible right out of the gate on this forum :)

I've got this macro that seems to work just fine when i execute it one line at a time or in small blocks, but when I run the whole thing at once it gives me errors, which my error handling attempts don't seem to respond to as I'd hoped, and I have no idea why... it seems like maybe it's just running through the code too fast?

The problems are mainly with a function called by the main procedure that refreshes a power query in another workbook before performing an action on the query's results... the reason that the queries are in a separate workbook is that this needs to be a shared document, so no tables allowed...

Is it possible that the query is taking too long? or that maybe the network connection to the server isn't fast enough? or is there something in my code or missing from it that is the cause?

so from the main procedure I call the refresh function with this line,

Call Refresh_Query(myTable, SourceWb, ws)

Here is the code for the function, I've put my comments right in with the code...

Code:
Function Refresh_Query(myTable As ListObject, SourceWb As Workbook, ws As Worksheet)

DisplayAlerts = True    '---- I am trying to activate the source sheet and display the query window so that can see a bit of how the refresh is progressing
    SourceWb.Activate

ws.Activate            '----- Often I will get a run-time error '91' on this line, Object variable or With block variable not 
set as though nothing was passed from the main sub for the ws variable. This does not happen when stepping through 
manually, and when stepping through manually, ?ws.name will display the name of the ws correctly in the immediate window.---'

On Error GoTo Vis    '---- This was an attempt to handle an error consistently thrown on the following line, it seemed 
that the code was just going too fast and that re-running the .Visible = True command would remedy the issue and 
display the commandbar as expected. However, it doesn't seem to handle the error as expected in that it just throws 
up the debugger error box, rather than jumping up to vis: and rerunning the line.---'

Vis:    '---Error handling meant to just repeat command below

Application.CommandBars("Workbook Queries").Visible = True          '---- Often i get Run-Time error      2147467259 (80004005)' 
Method 'Visible' of object 'CommandBar' failed. Sometimes I get Run-Time error '5':  Invalid procedure call or argument, 
but neither when stepping through manually...---'

On Error GoTo 0

'----The next few lines are fine------'

Application.CommandBars("Workbook Queries").Width = 300
        On Error GoTo 0

'Get current background-refresh value
        bBackground = myTable.QueryTable.BackgroundQuery

'Temporarily disable background-refresh
        myTable.QueryTable.BackgroundQuery = False

'------- This next bit refreshes the query, but seems to throw an error more often than not, which seems like a 'timeout' 
problem or a network speed issue... not sure if that's accurate, just an impression. Visually, the query seems to load 
the data into the table, but the actual process doesn't seem to complete; so even though the refreshed data is visible 
and appears complete, the status of the query still displays "loading..." with the little spinning wheel. Eventually I'll 
get the HRESULT: 0x800A03EC error, which triggers the error handling line at the bottom.---------'

'Refresh this connection
        On Error GoTo err
        myTable.QueryTable.Refresh

'Set background-refresh value back to original value
        myTable.QueryTable.BackgroundQuery = bBackground
        Application.CommandBars("Workbook Queries").Visible = False

err:
    MsgBox "The search could not be completed." & vbCrLf & "Please try again later.", vbOKOnly, "Error"

End Function

The code for the main Sub is as follows...

Code:
Sub Add_New_Records_Click()

'
' Update_Button Macro
'

Dim myTable As ListObject
    Dim DestWb, SourceWb As Workbook
    Dim ws As Worksheet
    Dim strFilename As String: strFilename = "\\my file path...."
    Dim LRow, CountNew As Long
    Dim Result As Integer

'Option to exit
    Result = MsgBox("This will take several minutes..." & vbCrLf & "Press Ok to continue and go for coffee :)", vbOKCancel)
    If Result = vbCancel Then Exit Sub

'Set path for Table Variable
    Set DestWb = ThisWorkbook

On Error Resume Next

' Test to see if the file is open.
    If IsFileOpen(strFilename) = False Then

Set SourceWb = Workbooks.Open(strFilename)

Else

Set SourceWb = Workbooks("caselog with listing.xlsm")
    Set ws = Sheets("New Records")
    SourceWb.Save

End If

DestWb.Activate
    On Error Resume Next
        With Sheets("CaseLog")
            .ShowAllData
            LRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
        End With
    On Error GoTo 0
    DestWb.Save

SourceWb.Activate

Set myTable = SourceWb.Worksheets("New Records").ListObjects("NewRecords")

Call Refresh_Query(myTable, SourceWb, ws)

On Error GoTo err
    CountNew = myTable.ListRows.Count

If CountNew = 0 Then
    MsgBox "No New Records Found", vbOKOnly, "Add New Records?"
    GoTo fin
    Else
    Result = MsgBox(CountNew & " New Records Found. Click OK to Add.", vbOKCancel, "Add New Records?")
    If Result = vbCancel Then Exit Sub
    End If

myTable.DataBodyRange.Copy

DestWb.Activate
        With Sheets("CaseLog")
            Range("C" & LRow + 1).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValuesAndNumberFormats, Operation:= _
        xlNone, SkipBlanks:=False, Transpose:=False
        Range("A" & LRow & ":" & "B" & LRow + CountNew).FillDown

End With
        GoTo fin

err:
    MsgBox "The search could not be completed." & vbCrLf & "Please try again later.", vbOKOnly, "Error"
fin:
    SourceWb.Close SaveChanges:=True

End Sub

I'm still relatively inexperienced at this so I would not be surprised if there are multiple errors, omissions or other defects with my code, but I would really, really, really appreciate any advice!

Thanks in advance!

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carmadgar

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back