Runtime 1004/Error 400

roscoe

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
I have the following code that takes a snapshot of a graph and drops in on the spreadsheet below the graph for easy visual compare before/after an update. It runs perfectly every time when I step (F8) though the editor. When I use F5 in the editor to run it full speed I get (the unhelpful) "Run-Time Error 1004, Application-define or Object-defined error".. When I run it from a macro-assigned "shape" on the spreadsheet as originally intended I get the infamous (and equally unhelpful) Error 400.

VBA Code:
Sub Copy_Graph()
    Worksheets("Print Plot").ChartObjects("Chart 3").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("A30").Select
    Activesheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False
End Sub

This code used to run fine from the spreadsheet every time, then over time the error began popping up intermittently (repeated attempts would usually work), now it happens almost every time (repeated attempts not working). I would think the code is OK (maybe not optimal) because it steps through every time in the editor.

Really needs ideas here.

Thanks!!

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
Try it without selecting anything, like this...

VBA Code:
Sub Copy_Graph()

Worksheets("Print Plot").ChartObjects("Chart 3").Copy

ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False

With ActiveSheet
        With .Shapes(.Shapes.Count)
            .Left = Range("A30").Left
            .Top = Range("A30").Top
        End With
    End With

End Sub

Does this help?

Upvote 0
I have the following code that takes a snapshot of a graph and drops in on the spreadsheet below the graph for easy visual compare before/after an update. It runs perfectly every time when I step (F8) though the editor. When I use F5 in the editor to run it full speed I get (the unhelpful) "Run-Time Error 1004, Application-define or Object-defined error".. When I run it from a macro-assigned "shape" on the spreadsheet as originally intended I get the infamous (and equally unhelpful) Error 400.

VBA Code:
Sub Copy_Graph()
    Worksheets("Print Plot").ChartObjects("Chart 3").Select
    Selection.Copy
    Range("A30").Select
    Activesheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False
End Sub

This code used to run fine from the spreadsheet every time, then over time the error began popping up intermittently (repeated attempts would usually work), now it happens almost every time (repeated attempts not working). I would think the code is OK (maybe not optimal) because it steps through every time in the editor.

Really needs ideas here.

Thanks!!

Try it without selecting anything, like this...

VBA Code:
Sub Copy_Graph()

Worksheets("Print Plot").ChartObjects("Chart 3").Copy

ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="Picture (Enhanced Metafile)", Link:=False, DisplayAsIcon:=False

With ActiveSheet
        With .Shapes(.Shapes.Count)
            .Left = Range("A30").Left
            .Top = Range("A30").Top
        End With
    End With

End Sub

Does this help?
Thanks

Note that I'm pasting to the same page as the original chart AND have a bunch of text boxes with various macros assigned (i.e. multiple shapes) that I don't want moved. Also note that some users of my project don't delete old snapshots before creating another (before the error started happening that is).

Does the With .Shapes(.Shapes.Count) by default pick the newest shape or do I need to modify this somewhat?

Upvote 0
Does the With .Shapes(.Shapes.Count) by default pick the newest shape or do I need to modify this somewhat?

Yes, it will always refer to the last shape that you either inserted or pasted onto your worksheet. So my code does the same thing, only it doesn't select anything. If you're still having the same problem, post back and we can try something else.

Upvote 0
Fixed with an easier process than yours...you suggested in another thread that it was timing and to avoid "selecting". Our internal network has slowed down over the previous few months so I suspect you're right in this instance.

However instead moving the shape, I just selected the target location first, then did the copy/paste (I switched to the CopyPicture method instead as it seemed cleaner) and now it runs every time. That said, the network is in light use at the moment so time will tell, but it's promising.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Solution

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartinLarkin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back