runtime error 9 - Subscript Out of Range Error or runtime 1004 - method 'range of object' worksheet failed when trying to color cell

GlennW81

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have a vba code that is intended to highlight cells based on value of the cell i.e. if it is empty. The code identifies the cell values correctly but it will not colour the cell.
I keep getting an runtime error 9 - Subscript Out of Range Error or runtime 1004 - method 'range of object' worksheet failed.
I have completed other searches and cannot seem to find the solution. As I can clearly see that the cell I am pointing to exists. I have even done a test with a msgbox for that cell and it shows that it exists.

The following is the code. whenever the if statement is met I get the runtime error:

VBA Code:
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    If ws.Name = "raw data" Or ws.Name = "HP dealer permits" Or ws.Name = "HP harvester permits" Then
        'do nothing
        Else
        lastrow2 = ws.Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row 'this finds the last row so that this data can be pasted in the same sheets as previous filtered data
        For i = 2 To lastrow2

If ws.Range("D" & i).Value = "no match" Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 2), ws.Cells(i, 4)).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            If ws.Range("E" & i).Value = "#NA" Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 5)).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            If ws.Range("J" & i).Value = "No" Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 8), ws.Cells(i, 11)).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            If IsEmpty(ws.Range("L" & i)) = True Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 12)).Interior.ColorIndex = vbRed
            If IsEmpty(ws.Range("N" & i)) = True Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 14)).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
       Next i
Next ws
End sub

Regards,
Glenn

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
Regarding the line If ws.Range("E" & i).Value = "#NA" Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 5)).Interior.ColorIndex = 3 :
What is in ws column E. As written it should be a range address.

Upvote 0
Solution
There are a couple of issues that I can see.
  1. ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 12)) should be just ws.Cells(i, 12)
    Similar for other code lines with such structure

2. vbRed is not a ColorIndex. You need to either change vbRed to to a ColorIndex Number (1 - 56) or else change ColorIndex to Color

Upvote 0
This might keep things moving a bit:
(Ideally we would pull the "ws" out into a With ws .... End With structure.)

VBA Code:
For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets
    If ws.Name <> "raw data" And ws.Name <> "HP dealer permits" And ws.Name <> "HP harvester permits" Then
        lastrow2 = ws.Range("B" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row 'this finds the last row so that this data can be pasted in the same sheets as previous filtered data
        For i = 2 To lastrow2
            If ws.Range("D" & i).Value = "no match" Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 2), ws.Cells(i, 4)).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            If Application.IsNA(ws.Range("E" & i)) Then ws.Cells(i, 5).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            If ws.Range("J" & i).Value = "No" Then ws.Range(ws.Cells(i, 8), ws.Cells(i, 11)).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            If IsEmpty(ws.Range("L" & i)) = True Then ws.Cells(i, 12).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            If IsEmpty(ws.Range("N" & i)) = True Then ws.Cells(i, 14).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
       Next i
    End If
Next ws

Upvote 0
Thanks @Alex Blakenburg , The reason the ws is not in a With ws ..End With, is because I need it to loop through and check each ws. and am not familar if using a loop with the With ..End With function.
Thanks @Peter_SSs , I had previously tried it by removing the 'ws.range' but still had the runtime error 9 - Subscript Out of Range Error occurring. Though I believe now this was because of the vbRed statement causing the runtime error 9. I trialled the vbRed when I thought the '3' was not working. I got the vbRed from Background color in a range of cells and Coloring a range of cells (VBA) which used the vbRed and vbWhite statement in their code.

I have removed the ws.Range when only referring to one cell, and only using the numbers for the colour index. This seems to be working now. Thank you all helping to identify the issue.

Upvote 0
Glad that you have it working now. Thanks for letting us know. (y)

Upvote 0
If you haven't used the code I proved I suggest you test out your #N/A line, my expectation is that it will error out.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back