Same data, need different layout

lifeimproves

This is somewhat complicated... I am creating two separate reports from the same data. IT will be "reorganizing" the data for 2nd report next year, but I have to work with what I have for now. The data includes the following information:
  • scholarship number
  • scholarship name
  • donor name and contact information (ID, name, address) - there may be more than one donor per scholarship
  • students who have received the scholarship (ID, name and amount received)
Currently each line of the report/data is for a particular student-scholarship-donor combination. There are multiple lines for each scholarship, depending on how many donors and how many students there are.
If a scholarship has 2 donors and 6 students awarded the scholarship, there are 12 lines - 6 lines listing the students and info for one donor, 6 lines for the other donor. We use the data in this format to create thank you cards from each student.

What I NEED is data organized to create a report for each donor, so it would have one line for each scholarship-donor and listing the student information across the columns. So, if there are 6 students on the scholarship, there would be 18 columns for the student info (3 columns for each student: ID, name, scholarship amount received).

Whew! Complicated. I have been cutting and pasting info manually but I have hundreds of lines to go through. VLOOKUP doesn't seem like it would work.

The attached attached will hopefully help show what I mean. The BEFORE is the data currently. The AFTER is what I'm looking for.

Any thoughts on how I can do this? Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Examples for MrExcel.png
    Examples for MrExcel.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 11

Excel Facts

Lock one reference in a formula
Need 1 part of a formula to always point to the same range? use $ signs: $V$2:$Z$99 will always point to V2:Z99, even after copying
I figured it out, using VLOOKUP for multiple occurrences and transposing part of the data. Worked beautifully. Have a great day

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back