same macro, same data, but macro only works ion one sheet.

JeffGrant

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,

I have this macro

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()

LR = Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row

With Range("J4:J" & LR)
.FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=IF(RC[-5]*2-MINUTE(RC[-5]*120)/24/60/60<R[-1]C[-5]*2-MINUTE(R[-1]C[-5]*120)/24/60/60,1,"""")"
.Value = .Value
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 1).Select
.Clear
End With
Selection.EntireRow.Insert
End Sub

Which works like a treat in one workbook with one sheet. The macro is placed in a module. However, when the macro is transferred to another workbook, the Selection.EntireRow.Insert line goes to into an endless loop and requires a manual break to abort it.

In the first workbook, the process takes less than 2 seconds to complete on 3000 + records.
In the second workbook, where there are many sheets and any many module, the Selection.EntireRow.Insert goes into an endless loop - i think.......
The data is located in the same columns and rows. The sheets are named exactly the same.

Any guidance would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Is there a worksheet_event in the workbook that causes issues ?
HAve a look in the Sheet modules

Upvote 0
As well as looking in the individual sheet modules as suggested by Michael, look in the ThisWorkbook module of the problem workbook as event-driven code could also be there.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your prompt replies.

Unfortunately, the problem is in neither of these two spots. Please see that attached images.

Attachments

• FedClass.PNG
    FedClass.PNG
    35.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Thisworkbook.PNG
    Thisworkbook.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0
Another thing to check...
If you step through the code on the offending workbook, when you get to the line
VBA Code:
What does LR return ??
AND
If you press CTRL + End, where does the cursor go ??

Upvote 0
Thanks Michael.

CTRL + End & LR both return the same row number. Which is the last row of the data set.

As we speak, I have been systematically deleting Modules, Forms and Sheets to see what causes the error. But then when I think I find I have found the culprit, I cant reproduce the error.

But the error seems to be created by a formula(s) in a sheet rather than in VBA code or user forms.

Rather mystifying....

Upvote 0
An Update....

I have worked out that there is a module that when deleted, this code works fine. When the module is there, Excel stops responding. Unfortunately, it happens to be the module with the largest amount of code.

This code below is located in it own module and does not reference any other sub, sheet, user form, variable other than the sheet that the code directly applies to. So why would some other code, in a completely different location and is completely unrelated to this cause such a drama?

Any guidance is much appreciated.

VBA Code:
Sub Macro1()
Sheets("FedClass").Select
LR = Cells(Rows.Count, 2).End(xlUp).Row

.FormulaR1C1 = _
        "=IF(RC[-5]*2-MINUTE(RC[-5]*120)/24/60/60<R[-1]C[-5]*2-MINUTE(R[-1]C[-5]*120)/24/60/60,1,"""")"
.Value = .Value
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, 1).Select
.Clear
End With
Selection.EntireRow.Insert
End Sub

Upvote 0
Isnt this the same code as posted originally??
What is in the module that is causing the problem?

Upvote 0
Rich (BB code):
Unfortunately, it happens to be the module with the largest amount of code.
So, how about posting the ALL code from that offending module ??

Upvote 0
Hi Michael, I cant post the code without posting the data. Unfortunately, too sensitive for that I'm afraid.

At this point, I will leave the issues as unresolved because the way this particular part works in my model is not repeated very often

My solution will be to copy the data to another work book and run the code from there when required.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back