Samples

Wil Moosa

I've been doing a project the last month and as a newbee I needed quite frequently the help from the board. I learned a lot though. Now the project is coming to an end and I can start using the result as planned... I am pretty sure that others might find a use of the application too.

When searching on the web the number of Excel samples is limited. Most of the people who made interesting things try to make money out of it. As for example my application is made with a lot of help from the visitors of the message board the application is 40% public property. Is it an idea to build a library of self made Excel applications here at MrExcel.com so everybody can take what she or he needs and develop applications further?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
Wil,

There is a staggering amount of free Excel samples on the Web. This Board alone provides numerous examples. Look down to the bottom of this screen and follow the link to Excel Articles.

I don't think that it is appropriate for me to use this Board to advertise other people's Excel web sites. However, if you want a particular Excel sample you can usually find it (or close to it).

I have ceased to be amazed at the amount of free stuff given away by various Excel gurus. No doubt, these gurus do it to advertise his or her expertise, but they have to make money somewhere to feed their kids, pay the bills etc. I'm a self-employed management consultant and I don't give anything away for free (but then again, some people say that I can be a real p***k).

Your idea of building a library of self made Excel applications is a good one. Naturally, it will take the good graces of Mr. Excel to accommodate this. On the other hand, why should Mr. Excel do it? After all, Mr. Excel is in the business of providing Excel applications. Presumably, they charge a fee for such services (if they don't, they need to get advice from a management consultant who can be a real p***k......).

Good luck.

Mike

Upvote 0
On 2002-11-08 19:29, Ekim wrote:

...but they have to make money somewhere to feed their kids, pay the bills etc...

...After all, Mr. Excel is in the business of providing Excel applications...

Fair enough... and what about this. Not many people know how to bring such an application on the market. What about a library where MrExcel is more or less a middle man who ánd optimizes the application and puts it on the market. For both MrExcel receives a fee (so does the developer).

This way all the time MrExcel spent on e.g. creating and maintaining the website, answering questions and offering advice are turned into cash as they might be used in the final applications...
This message was edited by Wil Moosa on 2002-11-10 03:26

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dutchie_1

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back