Sarbanes Oxley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary_E

Board Regular
Hey Guys :

Not happy but due to Sarbanes Oxley, all my excel files are being subjected to a ton of restrictions. One of the toughest ones is that I can’t use a ‘constant’ in a formula. For example, A1/1000 is no longer acceptable. The formula needs to be A1/B1 – Where B1 holds 1000. It sucks.

Anyone know of a study where changing a constant to reference cell increases memory usage & if so, % percentage increase

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
I do not know of any tests on the performance differences between constants vs. cell references holding constants, but I would guess it would be negligible.

In this case, you will have to bite the bullet and restructure your models to accommodate this requirement. It may be a load of work to change, but I would recommend you do it regardless of SOX restrictions. It is a far, far better way of working with Excel. The no constants in formulas rule is very sound advice, IMO.

If your example is common throughout your models, it appears that you are dividing by 1000 primarily to report the results in thousands -- for style reasons rather than substance reasons. If that is the case, you can eliminate the division and format the cell to display what you want (the value is preserved).

Example
A1 has 10,200
C1 has =A1/1000 ==> 10.2

Rather than placing 1000 in B1 and having =A1/B1 in C1, you can custom format C1 to something like #,##0.00,;[Red]-#,##0.00, (notice the trailing comma) or you can format A1 as such directly and dispense with the formula.

In any event, if there are common divisors, you can take advantage of Excel's Find/Replace functionality to do a lot of changes at once.

Upvote 0
Thxs for the advice

Curently I'm exploring the use of hard coding values in range names & using them to get around using references....

Upvote 0
Do you have any patterns to them? Give an example and I am sure a working solution can be offered.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back