Save changes prompt upon closing file

Davidns

Board Regular
Why does Excel prompt to save changes when closing a file if no changes have been made? In fact, it doesn't do so consistently with all files, but I do have one file that even if I open it and them immediately close it without doing a thing, it still prompts me that changes have been made.
Should I be concerned? Its a key file for me so just want to make sure I have not done anything to cause unwanted changes.
Thanks!

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Files that do that quite likely contain one or more volatile functions.
Nothing particularly to worry about. If you know you haven't changed anything it shouldn't matter whether you choose to save or not.

However, if you have macros in the file then it may be possible that they change something when you open the file and in that case presumably you would want to save the changes.

Davidns

Board Regular
Got it. Thank you. Never heard of a volatile function before. Glad to learn something new!! Much appreciated.

Peter_SSs

MrExcel MVP, Moderator
Office Version
Platform
Windows
Got it. Thank you. Never heard of a volatile function before. Glad to learn something new!! Much appreciated.
Cheers. Hopefully you can rest easier now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damntheman30

Some videos you may like

This Week's Hot Topics

• VBA (Userform)
    Hi All, I just would like to know why my code isn't working. Here is my VBA code: [CODE=vba]Private Sub OKButton_Click() Dim i As Integer...
  • List box that changes fill color
    Hello, I have gone through so many pages trying to figure this out. I have a 2020 calendar that depending on the day needs to have a certain...
  • Remove duplicates and retain one. Cross-linked cases
    Hi all I ran out of google keywords to use and still couldn't find a reference how to achieve the results of a single count. It would be great if...
  • VBA Copy and Paste With Duplicates
    Hello All, I'm in need of some input. My VBA skills are sub-par at best. I've assembled this code from basic research and it works but is...
  • Macro
    is it possible for a macro to run if the active cell value is different to the value above it
  • IF DATE and TIME
    I currently use this to check if date has passed but i also need to set a time on it too. Is it possible? [CODE=vba]=IF(B:B>TODAY(),"Not...