Sjodom

Hello,

I am having difficulty with clearing out data from a third party. Here is what I have and what I want:

I have users that save data in workbook B throughout the day. At the end of their shift, they are supposed to close down the workbook so that workbook A can collect the data remotely and then clear it for the following morning. However, there are sometimes this isn't the case, and accessing the file by its physical location to close it down is not an option.

I have tried to schedule the Task Manager to do this, but it has some user errors that we would like to avoid. It works, but there are some days different people collect the data in the morning. Consistency isn't required.

I would LOVE to be able to remotely close down that sheet with it still open, save over the file with the cleared out template, or even just display what files are still open so that we can clear them out the following day.

Any ideas? I have searched and come up empty so far.

Thank you!

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hello,

This worked almost to perfection! It closed the files down when there was no activity past a certain time; however, when workbook A goes to open the file (workbook B), workbook B's ThisWorkbook macro takes over and waits for the specified time before shutting down.

Do you know any way to bypass this?

Upvote 0
I don't know as I am no expert. You did just ask for ideas?

Another idea is to look into is running a separate macro file at a specified time in the same location as workbook B to close the file if the macro finds it open?

Have a look at Excel OnTime events

And this code can be adapted to check the file is Open rather than closed.

http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=468

Upvote 0
I still am having difficulty with a remote close/disconnecting. But I was able to create a list of the files still open to notify the users before continuing. This way they can try to manually close them down before performing the function.

Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattDRT

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back