Saving a Backup to the same folder

Throwaway8843

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Look I am sure this question has been asked and I have found some close answers online but I am having an issue.

VBA Code:
Sub FileBackUp()

' Saves a backup copy of the excel document in the same folder with the current date and name of the file.

Dim saveDate As Date
 Dim formatDate As String
 Dim backupFolder As String

saveDate = Date

formatDate = Format(saveDate, "DD - MM - YYYY")

Application.DisplayAlerts = False
        backupFolder = ThisWorkbook.Path & "\"
        ActiveWorkbook.SaveCopyAs Filename:=backupFolder & Replace(ActiveWorkbook.Name, ".xlsm", "") & " " & formatDate & ".xlsm"
    Application.DisplayAlerts = True

MsgBox "Backup Successfully In The Path " & backupFolder

End Sub

When I run this code it saves the backup in the personal workbooks filepath rather than the in the filepath of the current excel I am using. Is there any way to change that while keeping the file location dynamic?

So the error message I was receiving before your latest message was "Sorry we couldn't find https://company-my.sharepoint.com/personal/name_company_com/Template 29 - 06 - 2021.xlsm. Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

When I run your more recent code no error message or msgbox appears, although I get the microsoft error noise in my headphones. Nothing is saved on my desktop from what I can tell and nothing appears in my immediate window either.
Hang on im just stupid. It reset my shortcut and so it wasnt running.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
What happens on workbook.open and the full path and name? SOrry, didn't realise this was sharepoint, I haven't used it.

Refresh maybe?

Upvote 0
What happens on workbook.open and the full path and name? SOrry, didn't realise this was sharepoint, I haven't used it.

Refresh maybe?
To be honest I didnt know it was sharepoint either. I am not familiar with sharepoint and when I just go to file explorer I just go to This PC > Desktop.

When i try workbooks.open "https://company...blah long file path.xslm" it says it cant find it.

I am trying it on another folder on a shared company wide R: drive as well and get the same thing. It says it saves the excel but nothing is there and workbooks.open cant find it

Upvote 0
To be honest I didnt know it was sharepoint either. I am not familiar with sharepoint and when I just go to file explorer I just go to This PC > Desktop.

When i try workbooks.open "https://company...blah long file path.xslm" it says it cant find it.

I am trying it on another folder on a shared company wide R: drive as well and get the same thing. It says it saves the excel but nothing is there and workbooks.open cant find it
I am still absolutely confused why it was working so perfectly and saving a correctly named separate excel when the code was Thisworkbook.path, just in the wrong folder.

Upvote 0

Refresh maybe?
The immediate window is propagating with what the correct filepath and name should be

Upvote 0
Im just going to mark it as solved with your original comment since it seems to be the sharepoint crap thats messing this up.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back