Saving a PDF after it is opened via Excel hyperlink

J Harper

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
How can I automate the saving of a PDF file after it is opened via an Excel hyperlink? I open the pdf file via hyperlink and then save to a specific subdirectory after naming the file. I need to do this 100s of times within each Excel.

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.

I need to open 1 or many PDF files via hyperlink (1 hyperlink per row in column T), save this PDF using a the file name from column E to a specific folder, then go to next row until complete. There could be 100s of hyperlinks in 1 spreadsheet. I need the macro code to accomplish. I can opened the files but I do not yet a way to save these PDF files to the selected folder using the desired file name. The general steps are:
1) Open Excel
2) Click on hyperlink in field cell "T2" to open pdf file "123456.PDF", after "123456.PDF" is open,
3) Save "123456.PDF" to a selected folder c:/files/pdfs/ and change the name of "123456.PDF" to "WI-123456.PDF" resulting in newly named pdf in folder c:/files/pdfs/WI-123456.PDF
4) Go to cell "T3" and perform again
5) Go to cell "T4" and perform again
6) Keep performing until there are no more rows of data

Upvote 0
Why do you need to open the PDFs? It seems you could loop through the hyperlinks and create a copy of each PDF with FileCopy source, destination.

Upvote 0
I assumed I needed to open them in order to save them. i do not need to open them, i simply need to save them to a folder.

Upvote 0
Try this macro, which assumes the new file names in column E don't have the ".pdf" extension; if they do delete the & ".pdf" in the code.
VBA Code:
Public Sub Copy_Hyperlinked_Files()

Dim destFolder As String
    Dim lastRow As Long, r As Long

destFolder = "C:\files\pdfs\"

If Right(destFolder, 1) <> "\" Then destFolder = destFolder & "\"
    With ActiveSheet
        lastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
        For r = 2 To lastRow
            FileCopy .Cells(r, "T").Hyperlinks(1).Address, destFolder & .Cells(r, "E").Value & ".pdf"
        Next
    End With

End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
The syntax SOURCE hyperlink in my excel spreadsheet in column T looks like
" "
Do i need to do something different in the MACRO? Currently I get a "SUBSCRIPT OUT OF RANGE" Error when I run it.

Upvote 0
I thought the PDFs were on your computer.
Do i need to do something different in the MACRO? Currently I get a "SUBSCRIPT OUT OF RANGE" Error when I run it.
Which line? Click Debug on the error message and the errant line is highlighted. Does the active sheet contain hyperlinks in column T starting at T2? If not, that would cause the error.

Try this macro instead, which downloads each file from its hyperlink address.
VBA Code:
#If VBA7 Then
    Private Declare PtrSafe Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon.dll" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
        (ByVal pCaller As LongPtr, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As LongPtr) As Long
#Else
    Private Declare Function URLDownloadToFile Lib "urlmon.dll" Alias "URLDownloadToFileA" _
        (ByVal pCaller As Long, ByVal szURL As String, ByVal szFileName As String, ByVal dwReserved As Long, ByVal lpfnCB As Long) As Long
#End If

Private Const BINDF_GETNEWESTVERSION As Long = &H10

Public Sub Copy_Hyperlinked_Files()

Dim destFolder As String
    Dim lastRow As Long, r As Long

destFolder = "C:\files\pdfs\"

If Right(destFolder, 1) <> "\" Then destFolder = destFolder & "\"
    With ActiveSheet
        lastRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "T").End(xlUp).Row
        For r = 2 To lastRow
            DownloadFile .Cells(r, "T").Hyperlinks(1).Address, destFolder & .Cells(r, "E").Value & ".pdf"
        Next
    End With

End Sub

Private Function DownloadFile(url As String, localFilename As String) As Boolean

Dim retVal As Long

retVal = URLDownloadToFile(0, url, localFilename, BINDF_GETNEWESTVERSION, 0)
    If retVal = 0 Then DownloadFile = True Else DownloadFile = False

End Function

Upvote 0
Yes, the hyperlink starts in T2. I am getting the same error on the same line as noted in the posted ERROR image. I also posted a copy of the HYPERLINK STRING syntax in cells T2 and T3. The hyperlink is grabbing a file/image that is presented in the Document Viewer.

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 44
  • HYPERLINK STRING in Cells T2 and T3.jpg
    HYPERLINK STRING in Cells T2 and T3.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 43
Upvote 0
Are the hyperlinks just text then, not created via Insert -> Link? If so, change the DownloadFile call to:
VBA Code:
           DownloadFile .Cells(r, "T").Value, destFolder & .Cells(r, "E").Value & ".pdf"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back