Saving and retrieving userforms

rharri1972

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
This may be lengthy, but I am trying to explain the best I know how. I am attempting to create an order processing program for my business. What I need help with at this moment is figuring out the "purchase order" portion of what I need.

I will create a user form to be manually filled out by me when I am ordering parts/supplies from a vendor. From my vendor screen, I will scroll through and highlight the vendor I am to order from. I will click INSERT to have the userform show and this is where I will enter each and all line items of parts and qty's I need to order.

I will need help with assigning the click of the button to print the PO (userform data) and to open outlook with an attached PDF of the userform data to send to the vendor. I can manually type in the address of the vendor once the email program opens. Again I use Microsoft Outlook.

I will also have the need to have a check box for "verified". This will keep the form from being changed unless over-ridden. (I have a couple of employees that will not have permissions to change this).

Though I need help in these above mentioned areas...my biggest question is...can the form be saved within my "system" for later retrieval. This would be for keeping history of all orders to vendors or if I needed to check my order against what the vendor actually shipped to me.

I would save and retrieve data by PO number

I know you have very creative minds and most likely like a challenge and I hope that I have posed a challenge you are willing to accept to help me with.

I Would appreciate ANY and ALL help available or to be pointed into a direction where I can read and follow.

Many Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
..my biggest question is...can the form be saved within my "system" for later retrieval.
Generally user forms with data are not saved. Only the data is saved. So a user form would be used to gather data from a user, then when the user presses the 'Submit' (or whatever) button on the form, that data would typically be stored in a worksheet designated for that purpose. How and where the data would be stored would be determined by the VBA macro written to perform that task. Later when you needed to retrieve it, that worksheet is the data source.

I know you have very creative minds and most likely like a challenge and I hope that I have posed a challenge you are willing to accept to help me with.

If you are doing your own VBA programming and using this forum to ask for help when you get stuck, you will generally find a lot of help as we have all been in your shoes. If you don't know much about VBA and are asking someone to build you a macro to your specifications, then a certain element of luck will be needed as you have to hope someone will come a long who is interested in taking on a project for you.

Upvote 0
Generally user forms with data are not saved. Only the data is saved. So a user form would be used to gather data from a user, then when the user presses the 'Submit' (or whatever) button on the form, that data would typically be stored in a worksheet designated for that purpose. How and where the data would be stored would be determined by the VBA macro written to perform that task. Later when you needed to retrieve it, that worksheet is the data source.

If you are doing your own VBA programming and using this forum to ask for help when you get stuck, you will generally find a lot of help as we have all been in your shoes. If you don't know much about VBA and are asking someone to build you a macro to your specifications, then a certain element of luck will be needed as you have to hope someone will come a long who is interested in taking on a project for you.
Thank you again for the reply. I "tinker" with VBA but would love to be better. I actually would prefer to build myself to learn along the way so I will def be asking for help along the way. Sound like I could build a worksheet to accept the data and mimic the looks of the form.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Thank you again for the reply. I "tinker" with VBA but would love to be better. I actually would prefer to build myself to learn along the way so I will def be asking for help along the way. Sound like I could build a worksheet to accept the data and mimic the looks of the form.

Thanks
rlv01... if you don't mind helping....again. On my PO form I want to hit INSERT button for each new line item of a supply to order. So if I have 4 different supplies to order I will enter part number, part description, qty, price, and extension of qty * price. then to enter the next supply I would hit Insert and it would give a brand new line under the previous of course and so on. Is this possible? I was making textboxes inside a frame on the form Titled 'order'. I don't know how i would construct. Any help?

Upvote 0
All of this is possible. It just requires know-how. Most of what you want to do is covered by this tutorial

I recommend reading through it and then copy the steps yourself by creating a few experimental userforms that you can use to practice. Once you have mastered the tutorial and can create a functioning userforms per their instructions that transfers form data to a worksheet, start thinking about how you can adapt what you have learned to fit your specific userform requirements.

Upvote 0
All of this is possible. It just requires know-how. Most of what you want to do is covered by this tutorial

I recommend reading through it and then copy the steps yourself by creating a few experimental userforms that you can use to practice. Once you have mastered the tutorial and can create a functioning userforms per their instructions that transfers form data to a worksheet, start thinking about how you can adapt what you have learned to fit your specific userform requirements.
stepped out for a bit and just seeing this. Thank you....where can I find tutorials on my own with specific needs?

Upvote 0
stepped out for a bit and just seeing this. Thank you....where can I find tutorials on my own with specific needs?

Personally, I use Google. You could also try YouTube.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back