Saving Data in a Range of Cells Dependent in Selection from Drop Down List

Mlwhiteman

Hi,

I am looking to combine a drop-down list with a range of editable data that can then be saved and later loaded (if possible). What I mean exactly by this is to first have a single drop down list containing all of the calendar months of the year. A range of data (dates, vendors, costs, and budget category for monthly transactions) will then be populated based upon the selection of month. I would like to know if it is possible to edit this range of data for said month, save the current state of the range including any newly-included transactions, and then later load this newly-saved state. Thank you for all of your time and help in advance!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
You might get more help if you supplied the ranges for the data, dropdown location, explain exactly what you mean by "and then later load this newly-saved state" and preferably post some usable screenshots (see the links in my signature for some ways to do this).

Basically you haven't given the info most would need to make any proposals.

Btw, if you are just having the Months in the dropdown why can't you just filter the data by the month?

Upvote 0
Excel 2013/2016
BCDEF
3DateDescriptionAmountCategoryNotes
45Laundry / Food$20.00FL Res.Pay Phillips for Laundry
513St. Louis$275.00WeddingDown Payment for Church
69Bingo!$42.00Ent.We didn't win :(
723Bingo!$42.00Ent.We didn't win :(
824Half of Phone Cancellation Fee$95.18Phone BillMom wanted me to pay extra money
924Car Insurance M (April)$200.00CarInsLate Payment. Yikes.
1024Rent M (May)$182.00RentLate Payment. Yikes.
1124Car Insurance M (May)$200.00CarInsLate Payment. Yikes.
1224Ring Insurance M (June)$12.00Ring Ins.Late Payment. Yikes.
1324Rent M (June)$182.00RentLate Payment. Yikes.
1424Car Insurance M (June)$200.00CarIns
1524Part of Rent M (July)$80.82Rent
1629Boss Chris at ETC$24.00Eating OutCookout with ETC

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Jun 17 (L)
Originally I was just asking if what I was requesting was possible because I had not seen anything online regarding the topic, let alone how to do it. Above is an excerpt of the range of data. (The full range of data extends to row 133). I am proposing that a drop-down menu be added to cell G4. This drop-down menu would contain all months of the year (January 2017 - December 2017). Additionally I am proposing two buttons (or something similar) - one to save data and the second to load data.

Consider this example:
Assume I start with no data entered. I initially select "June 2017" from the drop-down menu. I have a table similar to that posted above, but empty. I manually enter the line items as seen above. Then I click the "save data" button, and the range of data (B4:B133) is saved into the variable x. I then select "July 2017", and do the same as before (with different data), but the range of data is saved into the variable y. Then, I select "June 2017" again from the drop-down menu and click the "load data" button where I want to load the variable x in order to populate the range B4:B133 with the data as seen above.

The main purpose of this would be to reduce the need for 12 different sheets to just 1 sheet. I hope this now makes sense. If not, I can further clarify.

Upvote 0
What you're asking is not possible. When you close xl anything stored in a variable will be lost. Therefore youl'd need to write the stored data to a sheet in order to keep it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back