Saving Last User Name and Date

mvita

After spending over 3 hours reading through the threads, I have not found what I am looking for. So if someone finds an answer already mentioned, please show link and accept my appology!

My problem:
I have a workbook which over 100 users can adjust one of the sheets. The sheet is named "M-Data"

Users need a password to access this sheet. So this code works well:
Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
pword = InputBox("Please Enter a Password to edit the data", "Password Needed to Edit/View M-data Sheet")
If pword <> "123" Then ActiveSheet.Visible = False
End Sub

So sheet hides if wrong password is given.

Now my issue:

If the user gives the correct password, I want the user to give his/her user name and the date s/he changes the M-data.

So I include 2 more InputBox
NameUser = InputBox("Please enter your Name: ") 'example Frank H' (pls. see desert also)
Date = InputBox("Please enter date: ") 'example 22-05-2008'

Now, this is where I am getting stuck. Say 'John M' was the last user who had changed the M-data on 18-04-2008, than I want the following message box to appear showing:

"M-Data was last changed on 18-04-2008 by John M"

Therefore, Frank H will know that 4 weeks ago, John M had changed the M-data. As soon as Frank H makes the changes and saves the workbook, the old data (John M and 18-04-2008) gets replaced by (Frank H and 22-05-2008).

Can someone please help with this code?

Desert:
Can I use a list (also in the M-Data) which will verify if Frank H and John M are "authorized" users who can change the M-Data?

Thanks for reading this "story".....

Anyone please..........

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
Datsmart, Thanks for the links. It helped with the "Desert" part of my question. Unfortunately, the 100 odd users are not part of a domain, some are just stand alone PC's in very far away "remote" locations, and thus adding the list of authorized users and veryHiding them will definitely be a plus.

If no UseName has been entered in the "tools-Options-General, User Name" box, (something which I can not influence), the best option for me is to proceed with the Access Sheet.

This all will add extra security to avoid unauthorized use of the M-Data sheet. Thus the enter UserName question remains but will be checked. The Date question can be addressed by taking over the system date.

However, how does one keep the "tracking" of last changed by "Username*1" on "Date" so that I can use this data in the MsgBox?

Thanks a lot so far.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
John,
Excellent. Will give it a try and see if the track changes "fits" my needs. From the first looks, it should.

Thanks a lot for your valued replies.

Kind regards.

Akil

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruhulaminappu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back