Saving on 64 bit and opening on 32 bit gives error

Sqwirtle

I have always used 32 bit Excel 2007 on a windows 64 bit machine. I have a very decent work laptop and recently got IT to install 64 bit Office 2013 for me.

I use many workbooks that get large including tabs with 700k to 1 million rows. I used to have Excel tell me it cannot complete current tasks because it ran out of available resources. Once I switched to a 64 bit version, Excel has been working great. I haven't seen that error yet and I can successfully do more than I could have in the past.

Now here is my problem. I was the "guinea pig" for my department. We don't use any add-ins, just VBA code and I understand the whole declare thing with VBA7. That is not a problem. My boss (and rest our of department) still uses 2007 (32 bit). After I saved a previously created workbook (from 2007 32 bit) and he tried to open it he got an error that said Excel found unreadable content and asked if you wanted to open and repair.
  • Workbook created in 2007 32 bit
  • Edited and saved in 2013 64 bit
  • Produces error when later opening in 2007 32 bit
  • Can always open in 2013 64 bit

Here are the error logs from two different (non-macro) workbooks:
<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?-->
<recoverylog xmlns="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/spreadsheetml/2006/main"><logfilename>error023920_01.xml</logfilename>
<summary>Errors were detected in file 'M:\....xlsx'</summary>
<removedpart>Removed Part: /xl/comments1.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load
error. Line 2, column 179.</removedpart>
<removedpart>Removed Part: /xl/comments2.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load
error. Line 2, column 179.</removedpart>
<removedpart>Removed Part: /xl/comments3.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load
error. Line 2, column 177.</removedpart>
<removedpart>Removed Part: /xl/comments4.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load
error. Line 2, column 176.</removedpart></recoverylog>

<!--?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="true"?-->
<recoverylog xmlns="<strong><a href=" http:="" schemas.openxmlformats.org="" spreadsheetml="" 2006="" main"="" target="_blank"><logfilename>error050520_01.xml</logfilename><summary>Errors were detected in file 'M:\....xlsx'</summary><removedparts summary="<strong>Following is a list of removed parts:</strong>">
<removedpart>Removed Part: /xl/comments1.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load
error. Line 2, column 176.
</removedpart><removedpart>Removed Part: /xl/comments2.xml part with XML error. (Comments) Load
error. Line 2, column 176.</removedpart></removedparts></recoverylog>

This does not always happen. I have a few days to straighten this out before my boss is going to make me go back to the old crappy 32 bit 2007. I really don't want to do that as I have had so much success with the 64 bit.

I don't think the problem is a result of 2007 vs 2013 but I'm assuming it lies in the 32 bit vs 64 bit but I could be wrong.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
I did a test as I believe Excel strips the workbook of all comments when it repairs it in 2007 32 bit.

I just took a blank workbook in 2013 64 bit added 2 comments and when opening in 2007 32 bit, I did get the error message and the comments were gone.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lancelots

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back