Saving over a Template

OX Driver

Last week I was working from a template and creating many files for it. This morning I had another guy start helping me and when he hit save from the template it just saved over the template with his changes rather than forcing him to save it off as a new file. I have tried this now on other computers on our network and all templates are now acting in this way. Obviously this is a big problem. Templates that allow you to save over them like this are useless.
Has anyone ever run into this? I’m really confused. The only thing I can think of is that MS did an update that changed it over the weekend, but that seems far fetched.

Excel Facts

Square and cube roots
The =SQRT(25) is a square root. For a cube root, use =125^(1/3). For a fourth root, use =625^(1/4).
Did your template is of extension ".xlt". If so, it will only (so far as I know) open up as .xls and not as .xlt itself.

Upvote 0
New information here.
My computer is working properly. When I make a new template it acts like it should. It is Win 2000 with excel 2002. The rest of the machines in the building are Win XP with either excel 2002 or 2003 and all of them that we have tested are having this problem.

Upvote 0
Yes it is saved as an .xlt. The problem is that it is opening as an .xlt rather than like you say an xls and then when you go to save it, it just saves over the template. I know it sound crazy.

Upvote 0
I have checked in Control Panel/Folder Options/File Types and XLT is associated to Microsoft Excel Template.

Upvote 0
So it turns out that if you open the file from Excel by going to File/Open and then finding the file, it opens as an XLT and save back over the template, but if you open it from Windows Explorer it opens as a XLS, and will not save over the template. The guy I had helping me was opening it with File/Open. Learn somthin’ new every day. Sometimes the hard way…

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back