Saying hi to make new friends

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
  3. Web
Hello! Is anyone else in California? Where are you all from? I am in California, the Bay Area specifically. Like many people, we are now all working at home, which is great and all but I find myself at home too much. It's a bit lonely for me as it's just me and my cat, Sam in my apartment.
A positive point from being at home a lot is that I've been putting lots of time into learning Excel and VBA! Anyhow just wanted to reach out to see if I can make some new chat friends.

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
Hi,
I'm from the UK - yeah and I find that Monday's are a grind but using MS Excel does take some of the pain away lol?

Are you still learning VBA and do you find that learning VBA pays off for you?

Best regards
Matt

Hi Matt. I'm in Liverpool.
I use VBA most days, it just makes life easier.
I'm a contractor.
Current task. Take a file. The data is on one tab, unsorted. There are 3 product types. For each, you need to copy into 4 years, copy to a CSV file but in European number format which is an Application Advanced option. For one of the product types, for one sub option you need to split it into 2 files one with and one without, then filter on product code and remove 2 that aren't actually products.

So, 16 CSVs. But this can be requested for a repeat every few hours. It's a pain manually, but more because there's so many manual steps I'll miss one out. So the safest bet was macro-ise it, 4 buttons and I know each step has been done correctly.

Now it's done, it means 5-10mins per file is condensed into about 5 seconds.

So with VBA, it's a win-win all round.

In a previous job, we had to populate a load of PowerPoint files with a ton of charts and tables. Each had to be pasted as unlinked, moved to a precise place and resized. This could an hour. So I spent days writing a macro to copy and paste either a chart or a table into Powerpoint, there was a sheet which said what to copy which slide to paste it into and where and how to paste it. It turned an hour into about 30 seconds, the biggest problem is that Excel goes a lot quicker than Powerpoint so Excel had to be slowed down.

Hi Matt. I'm in Liverpool.
I use VBA most days, it just makes life easier.
I'm a contractor.
Current task. Take a file. The data is on one tab, unsorted. There are 3 product types. For each, you need to copy into 4 years, copy to a CSV file but in European number format which is an Application Advanced option. For one of the product types, for one sub option you need to split it into 2 files one with and one without, then filter on product code and remove 2 that aren't actually products.

So, 16 CSVs. But this can be requested for a repeat every few hours. It's a pain manually, but more because there's so many manual steps I'll miss one out. So the safest bet was macro-ise it, 4 buttons and I know each step has been done correctly.

Now it's done, it means 5-10mins per file is condensed into about 5 seconds.

So with VBA, it's a win-win all round.

In a previous job, we had to populate a load of PowerPoint files with a ton of charts and tables. Each had to be pasted as unlinked, moved to a precise place and resized. This could an hour. So I spent days writing a macro to copy and paste either a chart or a table into Powerpoint, there was a sheet which said what to copy which slide to paste it into and where and how to paste it. It turned an hour into about 30 seconds, the biggest problem is that Excel goes a lot quicker than Powerpoint so Excel had to be slowed down.
Hi Johnny again,
What a brilliant welcome again - thanks again for this.

Before I forget to ask, are you aware of any MS Excel meetup in the UK - especially in the northern parts of England - I'm from near Leeds. Or maybe are you aware of any online meetups to share knowledge about what we've discovered using Excel?

Best regards
Matt

Yo. Sorry no. And double sorry. I've had enough of Excel so I'll be done with it within a few months. Drop me a PM. I'll send you my personal. Xlsb 30 years of assorted VBA..

It's got multiple modules, user forms. Tbh I lost control, there's stuff repeated. That's why I can't cope lol

Hi Jonny,
Such a shame to hear that you might not be using excel anymore fairly soon. I'd like to drop you a PM but I don't have the option yet - maybe because I only joined this group less than a week ago or I'm looking in the wrong place.

Just to be sure, where should I click to set you a PM?

Cheers
Matt

maybe because I only joined this group less than a week ago
It isn't a time thing, it is a certain number of posts (messages) & Lounge posts don't get counted as you can see by your Messages count.

Thanks Pete for letting me know.

I've get some real posts in on Saturday and spend more time on this forum I hope.

To be honest, I'm not sure what to learn about next. I've got the Mr XL book (5th edition - I should have bought the 6th edition but maybe not much difference ) - tips #33-#42 as a guide to see what there is to learn. I might need help on pivot tables or help with following some of the book. I already know the basics of pivot tables and used in my job but would like to get the know them better to be able to merge tables possibly. Then there is so much else to learn - arrays, dynamic arrays, INDEX, MATCH, FILTER etc...where to start???

Cheers
Matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back