Scatter graph problem

jmturrell

Right im new to excel so please bare with me
Ive made a scatter graph in excel 07. concentration (x axis) vs absorbance value ( y axis)

ive put a poly trendline on it and basically i want to know how to find the x value if ive only got the y values. so using the trendline i match it up to work out what the concentration of each value is.

i would post attachment of my graph but can't!

i have been told to use the goal seek tool... does anyone know how i can do this??

please help
Thanks

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
jmturrell,

"ive put a poly trendline on it and basically i want to know how to find the x value if ive only got the y values. so using the trendline i match it up to work out what the concentration of each value is.

i would post attachment of my graph but can't!"

What kind of shape has the polynomial given you - a simple curve or a complex curve (i.e. are there unique values of x for any given y)?

It sounds as if you have the independent variable (cause) on your y-axis. If my parenthetical condition exists, then you might try graphing the data by transposing the axes - swap x (effect) for y (cause). Then, you can use the formula of the trendline to fill in the gaps within your data interval.

[Note: be sure that when you use the EXCEL installed trendline, you select the formula when it's presented, right click for Format, and choose the Number tab to give the coefficients the same precision found in your data. Otherwise, you may be using rounded coefficients, and the trendline will be incorrect for your data.]

FS

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back