Scatter Graph with Times

attaknow

I work for a fire department and I am trying to create graph which shows response times to a city. The data that I have is the date, response time in seconds and response time in minutes. I would like the date at the bottom and five minute increments on the left with a continuous line showing the graphed response times throughout the month.

I have gotten the dates at the bottom. At the Axis options for the time on the left I have put the following:

Bounds: Minimum - 0.000694444444444444 (1 minute) Maximum 0.013888889 (which is 1 min * 20minutes)

It shows 11 minutes on the left. Not sure why. I'm sure I have figured this wrong some how.

Additionally, when I select my data of the actual minutes, nothing shows up or I get a flat line at the bottom with some points like it is trying to document the response times.

Any help is appreciated.

Without knowing the goal of your chart, my choice of chart would be a bar chart with the data sorted by response times. Here are two examples:

irvvhoP.png

I would recommend not plotting dates on the vertical axis. Plot dates in the conventional way, horizontally from earlier on the left to later on the right. This is what people understand, and changing it will cause confusion.

In addition, you should think hard before you sort dated values not by date. It's nice that they are sorted, but the dates out of order will also cause confusion.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
I'll agree, I was so caught up with showing a variety of possible charts that I ignored that rule of thumb.

The criticism smarts—I caught almost exactly the same darn thing on a coworker's chart just two weeks ago.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kuldeep90

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back