scatter graph x-axis

Pugs107

I have a scatter graph that uses time values taken from a row for the x-axis. When the range of times is from 0:00 to 07:00, the graph looks great. If the times change to something like 12:00 to 19:00, the zero point on the x-axis stays 0:00 and the data gets compressed at the end. Is there a way to set the x-axis to be the actual times in the row?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Select the x-axis and right click to see the "Format axis" option and select it...

go to the "Scale" tab and click the "automatic" tick boxes...should do it I think.

Upvote 0
Gave it a shot. Same results though. What happens is if the range is 0:00 through 07:00, the axis is 0:00 through 07:00. If the range is 12:00 through 19:00, the axis is 0:00 through 19:00. :confused:

Upvote 0
I guess what I am asking is if I can format the x-axis to show only the pertinent times based on a selected range of cell and not all of the times from 0:00

Upvote 0
Is your x axis and the data points plotted in the same area?

It sounds as if your x axis is constant although your data series is not.

Upvote 0
Option 1: Set the axis by hand. Double-click the x-axis and in the resulting dialog box select the Scale tab. Specify the min. value as 12:00 (XL will translate it to a number) and the max as 19:00.

Alternatively, use a readymade solution like
AutoChart Manager
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html

Pugs107 said:
Gave it a shot. Same results though. What happens is if the range is 0:00 through 07:00, the axis is 0:00 through 07:00. If the range is 12:00 through 19:00, the axis is 0:00 through 19:00. :confused:

Upvote 0
Thank you tusharm. :) The add-in does exactly what I need. Will this be embedded in the worksheet, or would I need to install the add-in on any other computer that I may use?

Upvote 0
Like any add-in it must be installed on each machine. Of course, the add-in is required only on those machines where the axis values actually change.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelknuckles

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back