Scatter Plot Graph with Dynamic formatting

shanghaileon

Hi Guys, I'm working on creating a scatter plot with lines graph to show both progression in levels for a person, year by year, as well as the performance rating that the person received that year. I'd like to do the formatting based on rating on a yearly basis (only one rating a year) and in the year they're promoted, they still hold that same rating, but move up a level.

I have most of the ground work laid for what I"m trying to do in the attached file, but I"m having trouble getting rid of connector lines across non sequential data points. For example, in 2013, someone is green, 2012, someone is yellow, and 2011 they were also green. I want each of those years colored respectively, but not 2011 with a line to 2013.

Any help would greatly be appreciated. I know that I can get around some of these issues by ordering the series, and I have a backup version that doesn't use the connecting lines which is decent, but I'm hoping there's a way to make this work! Thanks in advance!

rLs5lIY.png

Each vertical gridline represents a year.

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
The following is a scatter plot with separate series for each line segment:

chart11.JPG

Upvote 0
I think that's very similar to what I am looking for, the one difference is that I have changes happening between periods but I think I can handle that in my graphing. How did you get it to not draw the lines, can you share your file or approach please?

Upvote 0
Worf, Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know a way to do it so that the coloring of the segments is dynamic? I've split my data into separate series for the separate formatting, but am having trouble preventing the connecting of the different lines. I've put a screenshot below to give you an idea of my data set and graph in it's current state:

TUfR6Kz.png

Upvote 0
I could write a macro to create the chart based on the data table. Are the colors defined by the performance rating? When the performance is #N/A on an entire row, what should the color be?
I need all the details in order to write the code.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arle8907

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back