Score Prediction in Excel

mbatterson

Hello,

I was recommended to this forum by a friend who spoke very highly of it, so I hope I've landed in the right place!

I am looking to put together an excel sheet to predict the scores, win probability and cover probability of american football. I would like to do this for other sports as well once I have the base model made.

I have researched different way's to accomplish this and what I've found out is that Poisson Distribution would be the best way to determine total's. Once I've determined the totals of each team head to head, I can then determine the win probability as well as the probability to cover the spread.

Where I need some help is how to incorporate the data I have chosen into a Poisson Distribution model correctly.

Here is the data I've decided to use to determine the outcomes:

Home Field Advantage Tier
Turnover
Strength of Schedule Rank
Offensive Point Per Game
Def Points Per Game (allowed)
League Average PPG
Offensive Yard Per Game
Defensive Yard Per Game
League Average YPG

Any help is apprecaited!! Thank you

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).

shg

MrExcel MVP
Office Version
Platform
Windows
That would make you a comfy eight-figure income in Las Vegas and get you an invitation to a statistics post-doc at the University of Chicago. Hope you'll keep us posted on progress.

bobby_smith

Board Regular
Unfortunately I cannot help you with Poisson distribution, but what you have described sounds like it may work with Regression Analysis using a Logit or Probit model.

Have you considered this?

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Arias610

This Week's Hot Topics

• Timer in VBA - Stop, Start, Pause and Reset
    [CODE=vba][/CODE] Option Explicit Dim CmdStop As Boolean Dim Paused As Boolean Dim Start Dim TimerValue As Date Dim pausedTime As Date Sub...
  • how to updates multiple rows in muliselect listbox
    Hello everyone. I need help with below code. code is only chaning 1st row in mulitiselect list box. i know issue with code...
  • Delete Row from Table
    I am trying to delete a row from a table using VBA using a named range to find what I need to delete. My Range is finding the right cell. In the...
  • Assigning to a variable
    I have a for each block where I want to assign the value in column 5 of the found row to the variable Serv. [CODE=vba] For Each ws In...
  • Way to verify information
    Hi All, I don't know what to call this formula, and therefore can't search. I have a spreadsheet with information I want to reference...
  • Active Cell Address – Inactive Sheet
    How to use VBA to get the cell address of the active cell in an inactive worksheet and then place that cell address in a location on the current...