Scrape details from generated webpage

pmhtuk

Hi

We're looking at a basic licensing tool - it's going to be straight forward where someone inputs a licence code (generated from website) which auto populates a single line confirmation.

I'm trying to see how I'd add this single line into a excel cell somehow, and then work with the string to pull bits out.

So for example, user enters code XYZ123 and excel adds this to a URL (so www.website.com/code=XYZ123

The website would display a code from the system on screen as pure text, example:

Code:
[COLOR=#000000]{"success":true,"license":"valid","item_id":4398,"item_name":"Template Spreadsheet","license_limit":7,"site_count":3,"expires":"lifetime","activations_left":4,"checksum":"dbafdb3eca5ff8b5dea6fa","payment_id":454477,"customer_name":"MrExcel","customer_email":"me@gmail.com","price_id":false}[/COLOR]
Before I spend the night googling, is there an easy way to pull the above into a cell?

The data would slightly change going forward, e.g. the email address etc, depending on the licence activation

Many thanks

P

Some videos you may like

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Rijnsent

Office Version
Platform
Windows
Hi pmhtuk,
that's basically JSON, the latest versions of Excel have some tools to process it, mainly PowerQuery. Did you try the menu option DATA->from the web ? That does give you the option to preprocess the data into a table so you don't have to cut it manually/with formulas.
Hope that helps,
Koen

Watch MrExcel Video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElizaR

This Week's Hot Topics