Screen Updating Not Working

Bench

Board Regular
Hi,

I've recently had a problem where whenever i opened a certain workbook it went into AutoRecover Saving and stayed like that until it crashed.

As a workaround i added

Application.AutoRecover.Enabled = False to Workbook_Open

and

Application.AutoRecover.Enabled = True to Workbook_BeforeClose

This seems to have solved this problem, however now for every other routine (in all workbooks) that i run the Application.ScreenUpdating = False no longer works.

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
I can see no connection between the autorecover setting and the screening updating setting.

It's probably something else going wrong. Possibly some other code somewhere is at cross purposes - you should step through your code in any case where its not working as expected, and execute your code line by line to inspect each line as it is executed. See here under step through the code for debugging instruction if you are not familiar with this technique.

As far as autorecover goes, I just turn it off - I save my work frequently as this is both a good habit and a good habit.

The workbook which is crashing on open may need to be repaired. Try opening it using "Repair" from the Open dialog options (you have to use File | Open from the Excel file menu, then right click on the side of the open button to see the open options). Copy the file first in Windows Explorer so you have a backup. You can also try finding what's wrong and fixing it if its some problem in the code. Or try rebuilding the workbook.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hey, thanks for your reply, i'll check out those articles, i'm still learning so it all helps.

In the end it turned out that the problem was an add on called Sparklines for Excel that i'd installed at a similar time to writing the autorecover code, somewhere within a module in it it turned the screen updating back on so i just disabled the add on.

Thanks

Ben

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cybersurfer5000

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back