search and replace by color font

ghinkle

Can anyone help with a search and replace of a color font?

I have been given an Excel 2007 sheet with many thousands of entries where color has been used to indicate a particular chemistry (I work for a biotech company). I have the task of converting the color to an unambiguous string representation prior to loading into an alas color-blind relational database. So for example a red G should be 'g', an orange G should be 'Gf', a yellow G should be 'Gm', etc.

<table style="border-collapse: collapse; width: 96pt;" width="128" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col style="width: 48pt;" span="2" width="64"> <tbody><tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt; width: 48pt;" width="64" height="20">input</td> <td style="width: 48pt;" width="64">output</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 15pt;" height="20"> <td style="height: 15pt;" height="20">GGGGG</td> <td>GGgGfG</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
I've tried setting the formatting in Find and Replace, but I only get 'Excel cannot find a match' even though I'm staring at a red G. Making sure the font name and font size are explicitly set did not help.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
I am not as familiar with Excel 2007 as 03, but I don't think you can do a search and replace based on color. If someone knows differently, speak up. I think you will need to write a small macro that will examine each G it comes across, determines its color index, and changes the G appropriately. If you will tell me the colors and what they would convert to, I'll give it a stab, assuming you need the VBA help.

Welcome to the board!

Upvote 0
Any red letter should be converted to lower case.
Any blue letter should have an 'f' appended.
Any orange letter have a 'b' appended.

I'm realizing I will probably have to figure out the color indices.....

thanks,
g

Upvote 0
So Let me make sure I have this:

G=g
G=Gf
G=Gb
G=Gm

Is that it? Are there any other indices? If so, I need them all before I get started, and you need to record them here in the actual color they will be in your chart so I can capture the actual colors you will be using , as there are shades of blue and a few others to consider. There is a chemical engineer that is on this board regular, I will forward this to him as well, just in case he has already done something like this.

Upvote 0
Just these three:
G=g
G=Gf
G=Gf

(yes..two colors mean the same chemistry...keeps me on my toes...)

Unfortunately I don't know how to get the color indices from the Excel sheet....

thanks.

Upvote 0
Not fully tested, but try
Code:
Sub ColourCells()
Dim rngLook, rngC As Range
Dim i As Integer
Dim strNew As String
Set rngLook = Range("F21:F25")
For Each rngC In rngLook
    If Left(rngC, 1) <> "=" And Len(rngC) > 0 Then
        For i = 1 To Len(rngC)
            Debug.Print Mid(rngC, i, 1) & " colour " & rngC.Characters(i, 1).Font.Color
            Select Case Mid(rngC, i, 1) & rngC.Characters(i, 1).Font.Color
                Case "G0"
                    strNew = strNew & "G"
                Case "G255"
                    strNew = strNew & "g"
                Case "G4626167"
                    strNew = strNew & "Gf"
                Case "G65535"
                    strNew = strNew & "Gm"
            End Select
        Next i
        rngC.Value = strNew
        rngC.Font.Color = 0
    End If
Next rngC

End Sub

You'll have to do some macro recording to get the right colour codes (I'm using Excel 2007 and got the value 255 from a red letter, 4626167 from an orange letter etc....)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the help.
I had to tweak it a bit (reset the new string), but it worked very well.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back