search array and return one or more column headings as results

excelhunter

Hello. I am a first time user. I can usually search for what I need and adapt the solution to my situation but this challenge has me wanting. I have a set of data that I would like to search as a set of columns or an array and I would like to return the results of each occurrence to a cell or if necessary a set of cells in a row extending to the right. My data set looks like the following.

abcdef
2smith
joneshenrydolehayeshenry
3bushclintonharrymikemikeclinton
4donnabrownbrownsarleshayesmiller
5hayeszerobushjackiebillbill
6dolemikejameshenryjonesjones

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have a column of data that shows the entire roster of names (80+) that I am using as the search string and I would like to create a formula that looks up the array similar to the one above and returns the year in the column header that corresponds with the name occurrence. The results should look like below. The names in the left column are the search string and the results would be the years in the second column. I figure once I have the first formula I can just copy it down the column and use relative referencing to have it reference each successive name as a search string in the data array.

Smith
Bush2017, 2015
Donna2017
Hayes2017, 2013
Dole2017, 2014
jones2016, 2013,2012
etc.......

<tbody>
</tbody>

If it is difficult to return multiple results to a cell, then the rresults may extend to cells to the right. Any help is very much appreciated. I have tried combinations of lookup, match, index, etc without results.
Regards,

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
Welcome to the forum.

So far I've been able to come up with a partial solution for you. I cannot figure out how to manipulate the arrays to put things in descending order nor how to eliminate the duplicates (eg. my Hayes has 2013 twice). You will need Excel2016 to use this algorithm because function TEXTJOIN works with 2016 onwards only. I hope this helps.

ABCDEF
2smithjoneshenrydolehayeshenry
3bushclintonharrymikemikeclinton
4donnabrownbrownsarleshayesmiller
5hayeszerobushjackiebillbill
6dolemikejameshenryjonesjones
9Smith2017
10Bush2015, 2017
11Donna2017
12Hayes2013, 2013, 2017
13Dole2014, 2017
14jones2012, 2013, 2016

<colgroup><col style="width: 25pxpx"><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet11

Array Formulas
CellFormula
B9{=TEXTJOIN(", ",1,INDEX($A$1:$F$1,,N(IF(1,AGGREGATE(14,6,COLUMN($A$1:$F$6)*(A9=$A$2:$F$6),ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&COUNTIFS($A$2:$F$6,A9))))))))}

<thead>
</thead><tbody>
</tbody>
Entered with Ctrl+Shift+Enter. If entered correctly, Excel will surround with curly braces {}.
Note: Do not try to enter the {} manually yourself

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
Thank you! Unfortunately I forgot to include that I am running Excel 2011 on a Mac. I could upgrade but I'm not sure any of my partners would be able to use the spreadsheet then. I've seen a couple of visual basic user defined functions that are close. I'm wondering if I will need to go that route. I really appreciate it.

Upvote 0
I see. I won't be able to help you with VBA...sorry. Best of luck.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ijat

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back