Search for cell value and then do countif based on column found

neilos81

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

Sorry to post again so soon, having further issues with my task. I know there is a very manual long-winded way around this but that's not really what Excel is about so, here goes.

I want to do a very straightforward countif. Well actually, 30 countifs on 30 different columns that arent in the same order and might be a totally different place next time I paste the raw data in.
Is there any way to search for a cell value in a row of headers, and then use the result of that to put into the column criteria for a countif? Setting it up 30 times with the possibility of having to redo many times over is slightly concerning.

Current countif looks like =COUNTIF(sheet2!$B$1:$B$1000,C3) and will be dragged to repeat for D3, E3, etc. sheet2 Column B holds grade info for a specific subject and counts the number of specified grades - C3 = "A", D3 = "B" etc

I need to do something similar for each of the 30 subjects (downwards), so i would like to search for the subject (stored in B3 and downwards in column B) in row 2 of sheet2, and then use the resulting column reference in the countif.

Hope that makes sense...

Many thanks in advance for any guidance

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Yes, use SUMPRODUCT ... like =SUMPRODUCT(--(sheet2!$B$2:$ZZ$2=subject_cell_ref)*--(sheet2!$B$3:$ZZ$1000=C3)) - as a guess. Change the subject_cell_ref to be the reference of the cell with the required subject.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back