Search for multiple text strings simultaneously in a single cell

geekylawyer

I have a spreadsheet that has relatively clean data, but at the end of every row is a long notes fields (often filled with several paragraphs of text). I'm trying to search inside each one of those notes to see if it contains certain boilerplate language / legalese / key words.

If I was just looking for one word, it would be easy -- I would write =IFERROR(IF(SEARCH("keyword",E2)>0,"Yes",""),""). That way, if the keyword is present, it returns "Yes", and if it's not present, it returns a blank.

What I want to do, though, if look for a long list of keywords simultaneously, and if ANY of those keywords are present, have it return a "Yes".

So I could do something like =IFERROR(IF(or(SEARCH("keyword1",E2)>0,SEARCH("keyword2",E2)>0,SEARCH("keyword3",E2)>0,SEARCH("keyword4",E2)>0)),"Yes",""),""), but that seems horribly inefficient. Especially since my list of keywords is likely to change over time.

So what I want it to do is search each cell by simultaneous reference to an ever-changing table of keywords (call it [KeywordTable]). And I can't figure out how to do that. The search function is resisting all of my efforts to put multiple search values / a range of words inside of it.

To reiterate: the goal is to look at one cell filled with text, ask "does the text in that cell contain any of the keywords contained in [KeywordTable]", and if the answer is "Yes" return yes, and if the answer is no return no (or blanks). That's all.

Create a range housing the relevant search words like STUK, STUS, etc.. sort this range in ascending order, and name the range in question WordList via the Name Box.

Now, in B2 enter and copy down:

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(" "&WordList&" "," "&A2&" "),WordList)

where A2 contains an email subject.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

When did Power Query debut in Excel?
Although it was an add-in in Excel 2010 & Excel 2013, Power Query became a part of Excel in 2016, in Data, Get & Transform Data.
Try...

=LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(KeywordTable,E2),KeywordTable)

Thanks a lot....This is working fine.
is there any way do this same with VBA

I need to apply this in 2 columns (Column A, Column B) with 2 different keywordsTable (1, 2) respectively
column A will work with Keywordtable 1 and column B will work with keywordtable 2
and then return the keyword which found

Thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot....This is working fine.
is there any way do this same with VBA

I need to apply this in 2 columns (Column A, Column B) with 2 different keywordsTable (1, 2) respectively
column A will work with Keywordtable 1 and column B will work with keywordtable 2
and then return the keyword which found

Thanks for your help!

Hi Team,

I really need solution for this. Appreciate your help. Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi Team,

I really need solution for this. Appreciate your help. Thanks!

This topic is getting too long and you are asking for a solution with VBA. Better create a new Thread by providing an example - data along with before/after macro.

M.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back