Search for value accross multiple sheets, and returm sheetnames

Flagz

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello all,

Hopefully someone can help. I have a workbook with multiple sheets. Each worksheet represents a department.
Each department is required to keep a daily log. When the log is full, the log is stored in a numbered box.
On the worksheet we keep track of date of first and last entry, and the box number the book is stored in.
In the Workbook, I have a search worksheet. What I am trying to do is produce a List of departments that
have logbooks stored in a Box number. For example if I type 20 in Cell A4 of the Search worksheet, it will
list all the departments that have a logbook stored in Box 20. I have created a Named Sheets of all departments
call Sheetlist. The formula I am using is as follows:
=INDEX(SheetList,MATCH(1,--(COUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&SheetList&"'!$C$2:$C$500"),$A$4)>0),0))
$A$4 is where I am typing the Box number
Sheetlist is the named range
C is the column is each worksheet where the box number is located

I placed the formula in cell B4 and hit CTRL,SHIFT and ENTER. It returned the Department, but when I copy the formula down,
it only returns the first sheetname, not all the sheetnames. If I copy it down 5 rows, it returns the first sheetname 5 times,
not the 5 different sheetnames.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

So just an update. Your non-array formula from Monday works perfectly. Thank you so much.
Still don't understand why the arrayed formulas wont work. I keep getting a REF! error. Something
about circular arrows, or something to that effect. Like the formula has a circular reference in it, but I don't see it.
Thanks again!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back