Search many protected workbooks at once

mrblister

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
I would like to search (using Windows File Explorer) many protected workbooks for specific content (at once). I don't NEED to use File Explorer, but I need a way to search all of these protected workbooks easily. There are over 200 workbooks in different sub-directories. Note the workbooks don't have password protection. Other than manually opening each one and saving as unprotected, what other options are there?

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
Have you tried indexing the content of the folders? right click on the root folder, on the General tab there should be an 'advanced' button...
1681847103708.png

Upvote 0
Yes, that box is ticked for the directory. I should also mention that File Explorer search works on unprotected excel workbooks in that directory (but won't search the protected workbooks).

Upvote 0
I just did a few tests and tried protecting with Review | protect workbook as well as protecting from the file | info | protect menu and my windows file explorer searches contents (on my personal computer). Are you working on a corporate network or personal computer…I’m wondering if there is a network setting or corporate O365 setting preventing contents search?

Upvote 0
It's a personal computer. And it turns out I made a mistake; the files aren't protected. I assumed they were, because they were opening in "protected view", but that's because the files "came from the internet". I disabled protected view so I don't get that message anymore. BUT File Explorer still won't search the contents of those files; File Explorer will only check contents of files that I created or ones that I downloaded and modified, but not the original files that I downloaded (but again, File Explorer will search the file if I modify and save a copy of the file). Those original files won't index for some reason, unless I save a modified version of the file, or copy/paste a new version of the file.

Upvote 0
OK, so I found a work-around. I copied the main directory of files and pasted it elsewhere. I then deleted the original directory. I then moved my new copy to where the main directory was. For some reason, this worked, I can now search the contents of all those files. My problem is solved now, but if someone can explain WHY it works now, that would be appreciated.

Upvote 0
Solution
Happy to hear you got it sorted. If you run into that issue again, check the file properties and see if security is blocking it.

1681911624160.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
farhansadik

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back