Search Multiple Text Strings in a Cell

Simonc64

Office Version
  1. 365
Hi All

I have for example a cell (A1) that contains the following text....."likelihood of mental illness through emotional abuse"

The keyword for me in the text is "emotional"

I have tried the following logic to pull out the keyword =IF(SEARCH("emotional",A1,1)>0,"Emotional") which works fine.

However, the text will contain EITHER one of the following keywords "Emotional", "Physical" or "Mental", OR any combination of the words.

When I try the following formula I just get a #VALUE! error

=IF(SEARCH("emotional",A1,1)>0,"Emotional",IF(SEARCH("physical",A1,1)>0,"Physical"))

Ideally what I want to do is identify the single Keyword that appears in the string OR if a combination of 2 or more of the Keywords appear output the result of "Multiple"

Any thoughts welcomed, thanks !

Simon

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
As long as your list of words is not too long, you could do something like this...

=MID(IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Emotional*"),", Emotional","")&IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Physical*"),", Physical","")&IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Mental*"),", Mental",""),3,99)

Upvote 0
Thanks Rick that solves the problem of picking out whichever single keyword appears in the string perfectly. However, I want to avoid bringing all the keywords back if they all appear, I'd just like, for example, the word "Multiple" to appear where more than one of them appear in the same string, would that be possible?

Thanks

Simon

Upvote 0
Thanks Rick that solves the problem of picking out whichever single keyword appears in the string perfectly. However, I want to avoid bringing all the keywords back if they all appear, I'd just like, for example, the word "Multiple" to appear where more than one of them appear in the same string, would that be possible?
This seems to work...

=IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Emotional*")+COUNTIF(A1,"*Physical*")+COUNTIF(A1,"*Mental*")>1,"Multiple",MID(IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Emotional*")," Emotional","")&IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Physical*")," Physical","")&IF(COUNTIF(A1,"*Mental*")," Mental",""),2,99))

Upvote 0
Here's another option that seems to work nicely:

=IFERROR(IF(COUNT(SEARCH({"Emotional","Mental","Physical"},A1))>1,"Multiple",INDEX({"Emotional","Mental","Physical"},MATCH(1,SEARCH({"Emotional","Mental","Physical"},A1)^0,))),"")

Upvote 0
Create a range housing the relevant key words like emotional, etc. Select the range and name the selection List.

Once that done, invoke:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(IF(COUNT(SEARCH(List,A1))>1,"multiple",
  LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(List,A1),List)),"N/A")

Upvote 0
Create a range housing the relevant key words like emotional, etc. Select the range and name the selection List.

Once that done, invoke:
Rich (BB code):
=IFERROR(IF(COUNT(SEARCH(List,A1))>1,"multiple",
  LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,SEARCH(List,A1),List)),"N/A")

Is the 'IFERROR' necessary if the result is an error anyway?

Upvote 0
Thanks again Rick that is awesome and solves my problem !!
You are welcome, but you should consider Aladin's approach (Message #7) instead as it is more efficient and more flexible (in case you want to add to the list) than my solution.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back