Search results sorted awkwardly

arthurbr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
after using the Search tool (not the "advanced"), the results are displayed but not sorted in any logical way.
Nor by the original date, nor by user name.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

If you want results sorted in a particular way, why not use "advanced"?
Then at least you have several options.

1585393132585.png

Thanks Peter. if there is no other option... Pity the creators of the new board didn't think of something..;)

Pity the creators of the new board didn't think of something..
I think the creators did.
In the Advanced search you will find that the default order is 'Relevance'.
I have no information about the algorithm for determining that, but I suspect that is the order returned by the quick search, so there (probably) is a logical sort order.

For example i just did a quick search (in threads) for "creators"

First item is your post #3 here (exact match)
Next item is a post with "creator" (not quite exact) used twice.
Next 2 items are posts with "creator" used once.
Next 2 items are threads with "creator" in the title.
Next item is a post with "creator" in a quote within the post.

Haven't looked any further than that, but it seems to me like some logic has been applied.

Last edited:
Quick search uses the relevance order as default, but advanced search has all necessary options as Peter explained.
We are using an advanced search engine/server and search module built on it, so it is really the best approach to use relevance order for quick search. Of course order of the result might not look very logical for short keywords, but the current setting - as design - puts the heavy load on the search engine instead forum database that is a big matter on large forums like MrExcel Message Board.

That being said It might be possible to apply a customization to include a date order option next to the quick search box. Therefore I am bookmarking this thread to examine possible options.

I virtually always, want results by Date not Relevance so changing the default for quick search or a customization of Quick search as you are considering (&/or or customization of Advanced search) would certainly suit me.
It isn't a big deal for me though as I simply have this page bookmarked from my browser Favorites bar and I usually have a few other choices (like excluding forums I don't want to search in) & then it is a minor scroll & click to choose Date order before 'Search' or 'Enter'

It seems that I started some "To-Do" jobs? Sorry about that
As I am not proficient with databases and search engines, what is actually meant by relevance in this case?
I'd also prefer sorted by date, and by " date" I understand the date the thread was started upon.
But I'll use the " advanced engine" in the future.
Thanks everybody

It seems that I started some "To-Do" jobs? Sorry about that
No need to apologise. Whether anything different actually comes from this remains to be seen but we are always looking for possibilities to improve the experience of using the forum so your question has at least triggered consideration of possibilities. :)

I forgot to mention that I use the Search tool mainly to look for cross posts with another forum I moderate on :)
This new Xenforo software looks great !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back