Search tables on multiple sheets for a string

thedoccontroller

Board Regular
I'm hoping to search a WB(multiple sheets) for a thread entered in a message box and either return the name of any table the text is found in, or activate the sheet if only found in one table. I know this is complex, but any advice would be appreciated. Screen shot of one sheet with the column of one table I want to search: sample sheet.PNG

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I'm not sure where your tables are or how many tables could appear on a sheet. or where you want the data to go.... but maybe this will be a good start for you:

I assume there is one table on each sheet. I go through all the sheets look for the code phrase. if the code phrase is found once it opens that sheet. If the code is found more than once it list it in column A of the first sheet in the workbook.

Code:
Sub FindMatchingTables()
Dim ws As Worksheet
Dim Matches As Integer
Matches = 0
Dim Matched
Dim FindMe As String
Dim MatchedGroup As String
MatchedGroup = ""
FindMe = InputBox("Search for this:")

For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets

Set Matched = ws.Cells.Find(FindMe)

If Not Matched Is Nothing Then
        Matches = Matches + 1
        If MatchedGroup = "" Then MatchedGroup = ws.Name Else MatchedGroup = MatchedGroup & ";" & ws.Name

x = x
    End If

Next
If Matches = 1 Then
ThisWorkbook.Worksheets(MatchedGroup).Activate
Else
    Dim Individuals
    Individuals = Split(MatchedGroup, ";")

Dim i As Integer
    For i = 1 To Matches
    Sheet1.Cells(i, 1) = Individuals(i - 1)
    Next

End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Solution
Short answer is that there will be 2 tables on most sheets, none on some. As the other info on the sheet is variable, the location of the table is as well, but if the code is not searching tables, specifically, we should be okay. The code looks great, and I can prolly build on it if necessary. I'm gonna plug it in in just a bit, but will get back to you next week. Thank you so much!

Upvote 0
So... It worked beautifully until I attached it to a button. Now if I enter nothing in the box, it returns all the pages, as one would expect. However, if I enter a string I know exists, I get nothing. Before adding it to a button, it would return the 2 sheets that it was on(strings should appear in a minimum of 2 sheets)

Upvote 0
Okay... so I changed to report to column to 15(O) and that works fine. Changed the row to 4, and that worked as I said before. The first time I ran it, it worked fine, but now will not work. Works if I leave the row at 1, or if I make it row 4, it only returns results for " ". No strings. Really weird.o_O

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back