Searchable Drop Down List

Chewyhairball

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Guys
I have found this very cool sheet that will ‘almost’ fit my needs perfectly from trump excel. I have attached a link as I am at work and cannot attach an extract of the downloaded example from here.

Searchable Drop Down List

1575621399525.png

If you start typing in the combo box the names from the list appear in the selection. The thing I like about it is if you type ‘x’ then any words with x such as mexico appear. It is basically like a google search bar.
The word you select then appears in cell B3.
What I would actually like is to be able to have the same sort of search but to be able to put into B3, B4, B5, B6 etc….
I have a large list of data and to save people scrolling down to select what they want or typing in exactly what is required the above is perfect…except it only does it in one cell.
Is this adaptable for my needs or do you have a better alternative I could use.
Thanks for any help with this.

Excel Facts

Fastest way to copy a worksheet?
Hold down the Ctrl key while dragging tab for Sheet1 to the right. Excel will make a copy of the worksheet.
Is this adaptable for my needs or do you have a better alternative I could use.

I created a searchable combobox that has 2 special behavior:
1. The combobox can appear and hide automatically when you select a cell in a certain range.
2. You can type keyword in the combobox and the list will be narrowed down as you type.

You can find an example here:

Note:
In sheet2 in the example workbook you can find a slightly different setting from the one in sheet1.

Upvote 0
Reading the link that you provided, what you want is already appearing in column H, so you just need to copy that to column B.

Upvote 0
I created a searchable combobox that has 2 special behavior:
1. The combobox can appear and hide automatically when you select a cell in a certain range.
2. You can type keyword in the combobox and the list will be narrowed down as you type.

You can find an example here:

Note:
In sheet2 in the example workbook you can find a slightly different setting from the one in sheet1.
Thank you. This looks ideal. I cant access the link to download this file at work though...:confused:

Upvote 0
With the example, type 'i' into the search box, then look at column H.

Upvote 0
With the example, type 'i' into the search box, then look at column H.
Hi

That's fine and when I select it it populates cell B3. What I would like it to do though is do another search and populate B4, then B5 etc

Rory

Upvote 0
Thank you. This looks ideal. I cant access the link to download this file at work though...:confused:
Unfortunately we cannot attach files in this forum. But I guess you can download it from your computer at home?

Upvote 0
Hi
Yes, I can do that. I tried to download it to my phone and then send it onto my work email but that didn't work.
If you have a written version on it that would be good but if not then please don't go out of your way to make one.

thanks

Rory

Upvote 0
That's fine and when I select it it populates cell B3. What I would like it to do though is do another search and populate B4, then B5 etc
I misunderstood what you wanted there, being formula based I don't think that the trump excel method will work for what you want.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrauni

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back