Searching for Text string

Vannah

Hi everyone,

I'm a little new to this so please bear with me.

I have an Excel 2010 worksheet with 3 different tabs. One tab is where I have my master database and where all the other tabs get their information from. Tabs 2 and 3 are datasheets from different sources.

Excel 2010 32 bit
A
B
TAB 1 - MASTER DATABASE
NAMEPROVIDER
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WARA
ADJUSTMENT BUREAU, THEB
A PLACE IN THE SUNC
BOY NEXT DOOR, THEB
BOURNE SUPREMACY, THEA
AS ABOVE, SO BELOWC
TAB 2 - Source X
NAMEPROVIDER
CAPTAIN AMERICA CIVIL WAR
=INDEX($B$3:$B$8,(MATCH(A12,$A$3:$A$8,0)))​
THE ADJUSTMENT BUREAU
=INDEX($B$3:$B$8,(MATCH(A13,$A$3:$A$8,0)))​
AS ABOVE SO BELOW
=INDEX($B$3:$B$8,(MATCH(A14,$A$3:$A$8,0)))​
TAB 3 - Source Y
NAMEPROVIDER
THE BOURNE SUPREMACY
=INDEX($B$3:$B$8,(MATCH(A19,$A$3:$A$8,0)))​
CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR=INDEX($B$3:$B$8,(MATCH(A20,$A$3:$A$8,0)))
A PLACE IN THE SUN=INDEX($B$3:$B$8,(MATCH(A21,$A$3:$A$8,0)))

<tbody>
</tbody>
Sheet: Sheet1

<tbody>
</tbody>

I would normally just use INDEX MATCH to find the corresponding provider to complete the missing info in the source tabs but my issue is that each source has a potentially different naming convention, which, when using a normal INDEX MATCH formula, will result in an error since the match is not exact.

So what I need is to somehow search not for the entire name but just part of it so I can establish which provider it belongs to. My biggest problems are with "The" and "A" being sometimes at the front or end of a name, commas and other punctuation etc. Can anyone help me do this, please?

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
You should delete "A" and "The" from the start and the end of the string, as well as commas, colons etc. then make a comparison.

Upvote 0
Paste in B12
=VLOOKUP(LEFT(SUBSTITUTE(A12,"THE ","",1),8)&"*",$A$3:$B$8,2,0)

Hi There,

Thanks so much for your reply. Can we change the Vlookup (won't work in my case due to left>right constraints) to make it work in an Index/Match scenario?

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
You should delete "A" and "The" from the start and the end of the string, as well as commas, colons etc. then make a comparison.

Hi,

Thanks for the idea but, unfortunately, this is not a viable option. Each sheet has an average of 7.000 lines worth of entries. To implement your idea would mean having to do this one by one (or run the risk or a formula getting it wrong) and this is just is not viable.

Thanks anyway, though.

Upvote 0
I think your best bet is to create a simple macro to delete out all the punctuations that could be an issue and then remove all spaces between text. Then you should be able to Index match appropriately.

Upvote 0
Hi,

Thanks for the idea but, unfortunately, this is not a viable option. Each sheet has an average of 7.000 lines worth of entries. To implement your idea would mean having to do this one by one (or run the risk or a formula getting it wrong) and this is just is not viable.

Thanks anyway, though.

Of course I do not mean converting the 7000 strings manually, but using a helper column to perform this with a formula, then selecting the correct name from the database.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back