searching linked data?

rullery

I have created 2 linked files using Excel 2003. A source file to enter data into and a destination file for others to view, through the use of links ... this part works fine.

Inside the source file I have several tabs (also using links) all referencing one "master" tab for data entry. These values are propagated from the master tab to other tabs in the source file. I am able to sort on data in the master tab (this is where data is entered to drive other tab values) but can not sort data in the tabs where the values are linked to.

My question; Is it possible to search on linked data? And if so, how is it done?

I would appreciate any help. I am new at this whole "linking" thing.

Thanks in advance!!!

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Thanks Smitty, but I don't think INDIRECT is what I'm looking for.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
I think this is my fault for not describing the issue more clearly. After reviewing the problem and working through researching the use of INDIRECT, my question really is "how to search on the results of a function?”<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Let me get specific. I have 2 tabs in the same file. One is labeled "Quote status" and the other "Sample status". Data is entered on the "Quote status" tab but it is then linked to the "Sample status" tab. This results in searchable data in the "Quote status" tab but this data is being re-represented as a function on the "Sample status" tab because its linked to the quote status (i.e. ='Quote status'!B2)). This results in a “find” on the "Quote status" tab (because the value is really on that tab) but since the link lives on the "Sample status" tab, a regular find doesn’t work.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Smitty, does this explanation make sense? If so, do you think I should repost this under the newly defined question "how to search on the results of a function?”, to increase my odds of assistance?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Thanks for you patience on this issue.<o:p></o:p>

Upvote 0
So you're searching on the linked sheet?

You should be able to search even if you're searching within linked formulas.

Goto Find-->Expand Options-->Play with the "Look In" options. You have the option to look in both Formulas and Values.

As for INDIRECT I was referring to that for the sorting issue.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back