searching through cells

ashah235

I have data arranged in two colums.
Column A Column B
DataBig DataBig'sValue
DataBig2 DataBig2'sValue
DataBig1300 DataBig1300'sValue

I want to search through the titles in Column A (DataBig) and output the corresponding value(DataBig'sValue) in Column B. The VLOOKUP function is too dumb because I have to have the exact value of the name (Databig) in Column A...I want to input "searchname" and search through the values in Column A and output Column A values and their corresponding Column B values that partially match the "search name".
PLEASE HELP.

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
On 2002-10-25 10:31, ashah235 wrote:
I have data arranged in two colums.
Column A Column B
DataBig DataBig'sValue
DataBig2 DataBig2'sValue
DataBig1300 DataBig1300'sValue

I want to search through the titles in Column A (DataBig) and output the corresponding value(DataBig'sValue) in Column B. The VLOOKUP function is too dumb because I have to have the exact value of the name (Databig) in Column A...I want to input "searchname" and search through the values in Column A and output Column A values and their corresponding Column B values that partially match the "search name".
PLEASE HELP.

If you are using the FALSE option on your VLOOKUP, try taking it out and see what happens =VLOOKUP(A1,A2:B20,2)

Upvote 0
If you are using the FALSE option on your VLOOKUP, try taking it out and see what happens =VLOOKUP(A1,A2:B20,2)

Aaron-
that doesn't work because it gives values based on a partial match...ie the first characters of a cell matching.

anand

Upvote 0

Aaron-
that doesn't work because it gives values based on a partial match...ie the first character of a cell matching instead of a matching entire string. it also will not output multiple values and does not tell me the value in column a it matched to.

anand
Column C Column D
C1 B15="VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B20,2)'s Output" when the actual value is B18...i want the output to be
Column C ColumnD
C1 A18=MyLookup Function(C1,A1:B20,1)
Column E
B18=MyLookup Function(C1,A1:B20,2)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeerMan23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back