Second parameter not working

rickblunt

Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hello,
I am using the code below to pass some information from a worksheet to a listbox, and it works fine. Well, rather it worked fine when I was just looking for the first value in Column A. But when I added the second parameter ("And sh2.Range("E" & i).Value = "" ") the code no longer returns a value. I just want to return the row information if the value in Column E of the same row is blank.

Did I get the syntax wrong? I appreciate any input.

VBA Code:
Private Sub RepairsDueButton_Click()

Dim sh As Object, sh2 As Worksheet
  Dim i As Long

Set sh = Sheets("Plant Status")
  Set sh2 = Sheets("Repair Log")

sh.RepairHistory.Clear
  For i = 1 To sh2.Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(3).Row
    If sh2.Range("A" & i).Value = sh.RepairedDevice.Value And sh2.Range("E" & i).Value = "" Then
      With sh.RepairHistory
        .AddItem
        .List(.ListCount - 1, 0) = sh2.Cells(i, 2).Value
        .List(.ListCount - 1, 1) = sh2.Cells(i, 3).Value
        .List(.ListCount - 1, 2) = sh2.Cells(i, 4).Value
        .List(.ListCount - 1, 3) = sh2.Cells(i, 5).Value
        .List(.ListCount - 1, 4) = sh2.Cells(i, 6).Value
       End With
    End If
  Next

End Sub

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)
It looks like it should be working properly. Are you sure the value in column E is actually blank and not a space or special character? Can you run this above that if Statement to see if it shows as true?

VBA Code:
msgbox ("Row " & i & " " & sh2.Range("A" & i).Value = sh.RepairedDevice.Value)
msgbox ("Row " & i & " " & (sh2.Range("E" & i).Value = "")

Are you getting two message boxes that show as true? ( I added in the row number so it's easier to trouble shoot)

Upvote 0
Thanks Max for looking over this for me, I was thinking about trailing spaces and such as well so I went over that pretty thoroughly but could find none; and both message boxes return a false value so I think this confirms it.

Now after reading your insight the one thing that I realize that I hadn't mentioned before is that the cells that the code is getting its values from (Columns A and E) do contain a link to another workbook, so it is not technically blank. When I first started working on the code I was wondering if that would be an issue. But it does not seem to keep the code with the single parameter from working, that one works fine. So I made the assumption that the link wasn't the reason why it wasn't working when I added the second parameter.

The only differences in the two columns are that Column A's returned value is a Text value, while the returned value in E is a date, so its numerical.

At least I know that the syntax is correct, I am always missing a comma or something simple phrase it seems like :) I really appreciate your input.

(and thank you for the code snippet for the troubleshooting, I am going to add that to my little black book for coding)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back