Seek to buy Magic Bullet to run queries, send emails

StillUsingNotes

My company soon will have an Oracle database with billing information. We are hoping that there is a product that will make the following very easy, without writing much VBA:

We will have a few dozen Oracle SQL queries. On a regular scheduled basis, for each query, we want to query the DB, put the results into a new spreadsheet, store the spreadsheet on a network drive, and email notifications to a list of email addresses for that query, ideally with a link to the file.

Performance will be an issue for some of the queries.

The addresses for the emails will vary over time of course.

The machine that will run this will have MS-Outlook, MS-Excel, and Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, and Oracle Client. It can have Office 2003 or 2007.

Searching MrExcel :) I did find the idea of combining Windows Scheduler with the Workbook_open event to bring the data into the spreadsheets on a schedule. Also on MrExcel I found out how VBA can send email, too. I guess we could write a user-friendly system to do this, using VBA. But we would rather have something that does not require VBA knowledge to maintain, because Oracle SQL is one of our core skills, but not VBA.

Is there such a thing for sale? TIA.

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)
Don't know of any product that does specifically what you are asking for, but I'm sure I could write you a VERY easily maintainable macro to meet your needs. Unfortunately I'm headed to Jamaica tomorrow to spend a week laying around on the beach. Text removed by Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
The timeframe is not a problem. We will go live in January.

It should be something that a business-class Excel user could administer.

It should be possible for the user to add another SQL query, and to specify the email addresses to notify for the new report, and to specify the filepath for the new report, without any VBA mods. Somebody would supply the new SQL to the user. There must be very clear instructions that offshore users could follow.

Have a great vacation!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back