Select a TextBox on a sheet from a ComboBox

Magic_Doctor

Board Regular
Hello,

On the sheet there is a ComboBox. Next to this a TextBox.
I choose an item in the ComboBox and I would like, as soon as the item is chosen, to select the TextBox to enter data. How to do it ?
I tried well, in the ComboBox procedure: TextBox.SetFocus, TextBox.Select, TextBox.Activate ... nothing works, crash every time.
Otherwise the macro works fine.
VBA Code:
Sub ChangeItem(ComboName$)
'When you change the item in the ComboBox list, the percentage is canceled in the TextBox and the CheckBox is unchecked if it was
'Magic_Doctor

Dim suf As Byte, obj As Object, i As Byte, ad#

suf = ExtractNumber(ComboName)                                          'ComboBox suffix
    Set obj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("TextBoxPP" & suf).Object              'TextBox "TextBoxPP"
    obj.Value = Format(0, "##,##0.00""%""")                                 'displays 0 + formatting (-> 0.00%)

obj.Activate                                                            'DO NOT WORK!!!

Set obj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("CheckBoxPP" & suf).Object             'CheckBox "CheckBoxPP"
    If obj Then                                                             'the CheckBox corresponding to the ComboBox is checked
        obj = 0                                                             'the CheckBox is unchecked
        CheckSolvants = CheckSolvants - 1                                   'and hop! 1 less solvent checked
        pourcents(suf) = 0                                                  'the percentage will necessarily be 0 in the dynamic array "percent ()"
        If CheckSolvants > 0 Then
            For i = 1 To NbSolvants + 1                                     '(Base 0)
                Set obj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("CheckBoxPP" & i).Object   'CheckBox "CheckBoxPP"
                If obj Then ad = ad + pourcents(i)                          'identification of CheckBoxes still checked and addition of their percentages
            Next
            Set obj = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("TextBox_AddPourcent").Object  'TextBox "TextBox_AddPourcent"
            obj.Value = Format(ad, "##,##0.00""%""")                        'the TextBox "TextBox_AddPourcent" displays the sum of all percentages always checked + formatting (suffix "%")
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
You are using automation components, which VBA does not automatically recognize. VBA therefore does not know which library should be addressed. So you need to declare your variables used for automation objects more explicitly.

Rich (BB code):
'When you change the item in the ComboBox list, the percentage is canceled in the TextBox and the CheckBox is unchecked if it was
'Magic_Doctor

Dim suf As Byte, i As Byte, ad As Double

Dim tb As MSForms.TextBox
    Dim cb As MSForms.ComboBox

suf = ExtractNumber(ComboName)                                          'ComboBox suffix
    Set tb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("TextBoxPP" & suf).Object               'TextBox "TextBoxPP"
    tb.Value = Format(0, "##,##0.00""%""")                                  'displays 0 + formatting (-> 0.00%)

tb.Activate

Set cb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("CheckBoxPP" & suf).Object              'CheckBox "CheckBoxPP"
    If cb Then                                                              'the CheckBox corresponding to the ComboBox is checked
        cb = 0                                                              'the CheckBox is unchecked
        CheckSolvants = CheckSolvants - 1                                   'and hop! 1 less solvent checked
        pourcents(suf) = 0                                                  'the percentage will necessarily be 0 in the dynamic array "percent ()"
                Set cb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("CheckBoxPP" & i).Object    'CheckBox "CheckBoxPP"
                If cb Then ad = ad + pourcents(i)                           'identification of CheckBoxes still checked and addition of their percentages
            Next
            Set tb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("TextBox_AddPourcent").Object   'TextBox "TextBox_AddPourcent"
            tb.Value = Format(ad, "##,##0.00""%""")                         'the TextBox "TextBox_AddPourcent" displays the sum of all percentages always checked + formatting (suffix "%")
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
Hello GWteB,

Thanks for answering me.
Unfortunately it does not work yet.
The error message:
ERROR.jpg
ERROR2.jpg

Upvote 0
I made a small correction, and now it works, without really understanding why:
VBA Code:
'Magic_Doctor / GWteB

Dim cb As Object

Set tb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("TextBoxPP" & suf).Object               'TextBox "TextBoxPP"
    tb.Value = Format(0, "##,##0.00""%""")                                  'displays 0 + formatting (-> 0.00%)

tb.Activate

Set cb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("CheckBoxPP" & suf).Object              'CheckBox "CheckBoxPP"
    If cb Then                                                              'the CheckBox corresponding to the ComboBox is checked
        cb = 0                                                              'the CheckBox is unchecked
                Set cb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("CheckBoxPP" & i).Object    'CheckBox "CheckBoxPP"
                If cb Then ad = ad + pourcents(i)                           'identification of CheckBoxes still checked and addition of their percentages
            Next
            Set tb = ActiveSheet.OLEObjects("TextBox_AddPourcent").Object   'TextBox "TextBox_AddPourcent"
            tb.Value = Format(ad, "##,##0.00""%""")                         'the TextBox "TextBox_AddPourcent" displays the sum of all percentages always checked + formatting (suffix "%")
        End If
    End If
End Sub
The problem, as I had posed it, is thus now solved, but I did not really expect this result. What I really wanted to achieve was that the contents of the TextBox be highlighted, so that it would only suffice to enter a new percentage directly, as shown in the attached image.
Is it possible?
EXEMPLE.jpg

Anyway, thank you once again for your help. My application is progressing thanks to you.

Upvote 0
I just tried like this:
VBA Code:
'Magic_Doctor / GWteB

Dim cb As Object

tb.Activate

'    tb.SelStart = 0                                                         '
'    tb.SelLength = 4                                                        'DON'T WORK
'    tb.SetFocus                                                             '

Next
        End If
    End If
End Sub[\Code]
But that did not work

Upvote 0
Now it works!
VBA Code:
'Magic_Doctor / GWteB

Dim cb As Object

'
            Next
        End If
    End If

'Highlighting TextBox content for quick entry   
    tb.Activate
    tb.SelStart = 0                                                     
    tb.SelLength = Len(tb) 
End Sub[\Code]

Upvote 0
I made a small correction, and now it works, without really understanding why:
Apologies. I was too focused on the title of your topic, where you mention ComboBox. However, in addition to TextBoxes, in your code you refer to CheckBoxes rather then ComboBoxes.
And since you just wanted to move the focus to a TextBox (and not a CheckBox) by invoking its Activate method (which previously failed because VBA was unable to determine if this was a valid method), you could revert to your old code, by using the generic Object type for the CheckBox's variable without issues in this case.

So this
Rich (BB code):
Dim cb As MSForms.ComboBox

should look like this.
Rich (BB code):
Dim cb As MSForms.CheckBox

To avoid similar problems in the future, declare your variables explicitly, even if they are ActiveX controls.

Upvote 0
I too should have realized it. As we say in French "it was as big as the nose in the middle of the face".
I didn't know that you could declare ActiveXs by typing them in the form "As MSForms.Object".
Thanks for your advices.

Upvote 0
You are welcome!
And yeah, sometimes we don't see the obvious ...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leon Leenders

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back